im a big guy

Timote87

Local time
10:01 AM
hey i just recently found out about these bike to moped kits and finally got enough money to buy a kit from Bike-engine.com for $114 it comes from a colorado company named OBN.

first i would like to say ive seen some really cool bikes so far but i havent really seen any big people and was wondering if there was a reason for that lol like the title says im a big guy im about 6'4" and i weigh over 500lbs are there any tips i should know that would help me in making sure i dont break the engine on the first ride

and second is has anybody heard any bad news from Bike-engine.com or the company OBN so far they seem to be pretty cool the engine was sent pretty much right after i payed and they emailed me the tracking number but the return policy is 5 days after you recieve it so i would like to know if what they are sending me has any bad rep

im prolly going to be a return user to this site and when im done with the bike im going to make a post about it any problems i had and stuff like that with pictures if i get any replys to this thanks but if not cool

We're glad you found us.

500 lbs? That could be a problem. You're not joshing us (or just exagerrating)?

I don't really want to get personal about it, but you must have pretty thick legs. Can you pedal a bike comfortably, or nearly comfortably? That's going to be a must for starting from a stop.

And any roughness on the road is going to be very hard on your bike. I think you're going to need something built like a tank.

But of course I do hope you succeed. Hope you have fun and hope you stick around.

And you'll be able to find all sorts of good advice here.

Last edited:
no i am really that big yes my legs are thick but im able to still pedal a bike alright i recently moved and had to leave my bike behind it was a Shwinn cruiser i had to get a seat post that leaned backwards and some ape hanger style handle bars but it held me good enough when i can im going to get it sent out of me and i will put an engine on that too if all works out on my brothers bike out here

Okay, that's cool. (by the way, I have a pretty good customer in Seymour. So I know your town. I'll come and ride with you when I visit him someday)

Let's see, then. I'm still a bit worried about the beating that your bike will take. But that can be lessened. I try to ride not-very-much faster than I ride a pedal bike. (I think I'm a bit in the minority on that one. But whatever) You'll likely have to do the same. So I'd suggest a larger drive sprocket. One of the vendors has a 50 tooth available. When you ride one of these "happy time" engines slowly, the rpms are way down low. It's not where the engine really likes to be operating. So the ride is something like the old John Deere two cylinder tractors. Thump, thump, thump, etc.
It's annoying. I'm thinking of going to a bigger drive sprocket, too, just to get that engine speed up a bit.

You're certainly going to need to ride gently. Your heft is going to make this type of bike and riding difficult. But I'm willing to believe that it can be done if you're careful. And once you've established that you like this type of biking and that it's practical for you, you could look forward to getting, perhaps, a rack mount engine on a full suspension bicycle.
That's more expensive. But there are rack mount enthusiasts here who will tell you that they've never looked back. Though I've never ridden one, I'm willing to believe that it makes a nice bike.

You know, thinking about it a bit more, I should probably be careful not to lead you on.
We really do wish you success and hope you get many, many miles out of your rig.

But I'm sure that you are going to have to ride very slowly and choose only the very smoothest pavement. As soon as you've got a few more bucks to put into it, I'd get some heavy duty wheels. Those are likely to be your first trouble.

If you just follow that advice, though, I'm fairly optimistic that you can get $100 and some dollars worth of value out of it. And then move on to something with a suspension and you'll really be off and running.

good luck.

Hi Timote.
Don't Know much about bike engine.com The Vendor section has reviews and coments.
Would think you might go for a custom built frame. You could get it built to your height and strengthened for your weight. There are some 3 wheelers that might fit your needs.
Rear sprocket may need a few more teeth,to get you moving. These motorbikes are a hoot at any speed. If you look at the pictures and read about other peoples builds you can get ideas of what you need. One kit enables you to use a multi speed set up. There are larger engines around. Not to be a wise guy but your size will make most engines look small. which I think is good as the law sometimes judge on engine size. Good luck. Welcome to the site.

thanks for all the replys Bluegoatwoods that would be great if you ever came down here even if i cant get a rig set up for me off the bat i will still have a blast building one for my little bro well hes not so little either but hes not as heavy as i am

Hey Timote..Welcome from ENO (Down Under)..Why dont you access GRAUCHO MBc for some fabrication and build tips..some of his bikes could carry you well..also ask LARGE FILIPINO who admits to being a big guy so he may have some really good advice on frames and motors etc..No matter what get on it and go...good luck big guy...ENO

I bought my new 4 stroke from Bike-engine.com and found them to be very fair and honest. Check out thier new 4 stroke installation manual at their site!! The 4 stroke might be a good choice for you in that you don;t need to pedal it to take off, just start it up and go! Good luck with your build.

Back