im a big guy

Hi Tim, I see no problem with the engine being up to your task. Like the guys said -gear it down and ride bike speed ( I ride bike speed).
Does the bike you are going to do have just a coaster brake? THAT would worry me.
I suggest to anyone who is going our direction to make sure they have a brake on both ends. I only go bike speed (15 mph or so) and my ,"Race wt." (me and bike) is 250# and would not go with one rear brake ever.
I did see a Schwinn with 7speed and V-brakes that I liked a real lot- cruiser style and the frame seemed stronger than I normally see.

a tall guy?

6'5" you say, ok, we'll talk about weight later...i'm 6'5" 195lbs...not many real tall guys here so i bet you could use my input...

let's be real, my friend, nothing off the rack fits right. right? right. and especially stuff like bicycles. if you want and/or need to do this right the first time & harvest the full experience (i did & i do) then do a frame that fits you comfortably &, most importantly, safely. it does not have to be expensive or complicated unless you want it to be.

this is an early version of the only MB i've ever owned, with a 70cc HT. a 22" men's 5-spd cruiser (Miami Bike Supply "Key Largo" circa late 80's) tweaked by iRide Customs (a member of MBc) ...a technically-simple 16" extension behind the seat-tube, the pic will tell you the rest...
Sabrina-II_iRideCustoms.jpg

bluegoatwoods said:
But there are rack mount enthusiasts here who will tell you that they've never looked back.
this is true ;)

here's the bike today, same frame but several incarnations later, golden eagle/tanaka purefire 40cc: http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=25384

my wheels are salvaged moped drum hubs (AMF '82) and basic steel clincher rims, 10G front & 9G rear...look up The Wheelmaster (another member) for serious stuff if that's your thing.

and spearheaded by a billet whizzer fork...

but still, it's simply a "standardized" but heavy-duty single-speed dual-drum pedal-bicycle.

point being: once you own the right bicycle, you can do whatever you want :)

about your weight...candidly it will make MB'ing at a casual hobby-level tough for you...start saving now if you have to economize, you will need real brakes, 12gauge basic steel wheels minimum (or better of course), thick tubes, tires known for durability & toughness. and low-gearing on the engine-side of things is an obvious must. there are areas here that address all that, so "read read read" your butt off...and take your time above all else.

helmet & lights!

welcome to the MBc :cool:

Last edited:
Mr. or Mrs. Timote87 has only made 4 posts since April of last year. I wonder if they still hang out with us?

Timote87 has only made 4 posts since April of last year.
haha...dangit rambler' & prof...you guys got me good, i didn't even notice that ;)

and that was such a good post too :p

Hey now.... I'm 6'7"... we can't be that rare here!

time for a poll?

Augi- We all got ourselves BUT, these old posts still carry some zing forward. You never know who can use the good info therein.
I would like to see a poll too. Around here, I NEVER see anyone your size on a bike of any kind. Thin spandex riders and kids, with a couple of old guys on equally old bikes thrown in, is about it.

and i realized this too...if i hadn't been distracted during the time he joined & posted, i guess i could have helped him and maybe he'd still be around & riding...i wonder how it turned out for him?

it's funny seeing a 63yo guy calling peeps old, makes me feel like a real youngster. but professor, you've enjoyed 10 years i haven't earned yet, so i will not laugh too hard & i will keep my fingers crossed ;)

Last edited:
Back