I'm about done with this engine.

Josh_wilcoxx

Local time
11:45 PM
My engine has deemed itself unreliable. It's had problem, after problem, after problem. NOW what it's doing, is the engine revs up whenever I pull the clutch in for about 3-5 seconds before dropping down to almost dying. Sometimes feels super weak, I'm thinking it's some sort of air leak somewhere past the carb. Does a air leak sound correct? If so, what's the most common area to leak and what's the easiest fix? There seems to be a small puddle of gas under the carb. If it seems like a slightly more difficult fix, I'm buying a new motor.

There seems to be a small puddle of gas under the carb. If it seems like a slightly more difficult fix, I'm buying a new motor.
Sounds like you have a float sticking problem that is causing the carbie to overflow causing leakage...Take off the float bowl, clean it all out making sure there is no detritus stuck in the jet, needle valve, etc. and make sure the float itself is able to move freely thereafter...been there done that...lol...DAMIEN

Sounds like you have a float sticking problem that is causing the carbie to overflow causing leakage...Take off the float bowl, clean it all out making sure there is no detritus stuck in the jet, needle valve, etc. and make sure the float itself is able to move freely thereafter...been there done that...lol...DAMIEN
I'll definitely check that out.

My engine has deemed itself unreliable. It's had problem, after problem, after problem. NOW what it's doing, is the engine revs up whenever I pull the clutch in for about 3-5 seconds before dropping down to almost dying. Sometimes feels super weak, I'm thinking it's some sort of air leak somewhere past the carb. Does a air leak sound correct? If so, what's the most common area to leak and what's the easiest fix? There seems to be a small puddle of gas under the carb. If it seems like a slightly more difficult fix, I'm buying a new motor.
Four possible areas for air leaks, carb to intake, intake to cylinder, cylinder to case and the lower case itself. Three of those are fairly easy to correct but the case has three hidden screws behind the clutch that have to be addressed.

Junk those crap carb gaskets. Go drop 10 bucks at the auto parts store on a sheet of 1/16th - 1/8th intake gasket maker. Cut your own. Solves the carb leak problem usually. Try sanding the intake and manifold flat as well. Check your base gasket for leaks and look inside the covers at the main seals if the base and intake gasket are ok.

If you find that the float itself is full of gas, then it is a leaky float and has to be replaced...havent seen replacement floats myself, especially when a regular NT carbie is only 14 or 15 dollars to replace...lol...DAMIEN
There are floats. But they cost as much as a whole new carb. Lol

Junk those crap carb gaskets. Go drop 10 bucks at the auto parts store on a sheet of 1/16th - 1/8th intake gasket maker. Cut your own. Solves the carb leak problem usually. Try sanding the intake and manifold flat as well. Check your base gasket for leaks and look inside the covers at the main seals if the base and intake gasket are ok.
Also, if there is oil under the covers, that's probably where the leak is at.

Don't buy a new engine. That would be like buying a new car because you had a flat tire.
I just bought a new one, this engine was like owning a vw. It's had so many problems, even after completely rebuilding it. I tightened up all screws holding the halves together and tightened the intake and carb. When I was testing it, something happened, scraping up the piston/rings/cylinder. I'm done with this engine now.

Back