I'm an interested Newbee.

rover528

Local time
9:25 AM
My name is Dean and I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Ever since I was a kid I thought that a motor on a bicycle was cool. Now I'm 62 and I'm going to build one.
I called the police Dept. in Calgary and they told me as long as its 49cc or 50cc and don't drive over 32km/hr it's considered a bicycle. If it's over 50cc then it needs a vehicle inspection, registration and insurance with headlamp and tail lamp and mirrors.
So with that being said I'm looking for a 50cc 2 stoke bicycle kit but not sure which is the best place to order from being in Canada.

Also maybe there is a place on this forum that I can ask if someone has a motor like this for sale. I'll be glad to start talking with some of you members about things to watch out for on a build.
I purchased a 21 speed mountain bike last year and thought that may be ok for a build but when I look closer the Vee in the frame seems smaller than older bikes and also the gear shifter is like a throttle twist grip type on both sides so I'm not sure If I can have both shifters like this with the new motor throttle and clutch lever. It doesn't look possible but someone may know how to get around this. Excited to be here.

Welcome Dean. If your heart is set on a chinagirl, the cheap 2 strokes a lot of folks buy on here I'd do a lot of reading on them. In order to make them dependable you'll need to do some upgrades like a bolt kit at least. If you want a reliable Japnese 2 stroke out of the box you can buy a Zenoah from Staton.com, just the motor is like $240 then you need a transmission. Lots of choices, even Honda 4 strokes can be used for a FD setup. Whatever you decide make sure all the parts fit and work together before pulling the trigger on them. Good luck!...……..also make sure kit will fit on the bike you choose to use. Sometimes we buy bikes then come to find out kit won't fit in the frame or be a good fit for the rear. I've never done that but it's great advice, ok maybe just once!

Last edited:
Back