I'm being Watched

Sidewinder Jerry

Local time
2:52 AM
Many years ago when I was on Yahoo Answers Cycling, I often stated that bicycle accessories manufacturers should make loud horns, daylight visible signal lights, and DLV brake lights for bicycles. Of course that sent the spandex warriors into a rage saying such accessories weren't necessary. Lo and behold what has come out over the last few years are these same accessories I talked about over a decade ago.

Next, my Staton Inc hub axle broke where a retainer ring went. The SI hub design is similar to what's used on mag wheels. I had David get rid of the retainer ring grooves in the axle and design metal axle sleeves to hold everything in place. A few years ago I saw a thread with someone using a manufactured hub similar to what I had David build me.

Well, I had a freewheel failure today (3-14-23). The freewheel is over 10 years old. So I went online to get a SunRace 7-speed 28-14 freewheel for the 3-stage core to repair my 7-speed 34-13 custom-made freewheel. You guessed it, SunRace now has a 7-speed 34-13 freewheel (34,28,24,21,18,15,13) the exact same cogs I use.

For years I've taught riders about sequential non-redundant shifting systems when multiple chainrings are involved. I then developed marked color-coded shifters to cut down on confusion. I took this to an even higher level by placing both shifters next to each other on the same handlebars. I've done this on several pedal-only bicycles. I wonder how long it's going to be before this too is copied.

When I was on YA Cycling I also taught people how to use the sequential shifting system gear selection and a varying cadence of 70-90 to maintain a desired heart rate zone. The gear selection was the primary variable and the varying cadence was the fine-tuning aspect of it. This required a bicycle computer with a heart rate monitor and cadence meter on it.

For example: let's say you wanted to maintain an HR of 140 bpm. If you were dropping below that at a 90 cadence you'd shift to the next higher sequential gear. If you were going above the desired HR zone at a 70 cadence, you'd shift to the next lower sequential gear.

Maybe it's just all in my head but if things come to pass with the last two subjects I talked about maybe there's something to it.

I wouldn't be surprised, this happens a ton in other industries, someone makes something but doesn't have a patent/lets the patent expire, and all of a sudden everyone else is copying that exact same design (look at how many AR15 manufacturers are out there)

Even our motorized bike engines are Chinese copies of the Russian D motors, which Grubee simplified and coped over to china, which then Chinese companies coped for themselves.

i wouldn't say watched, i would say you are being carefully copied.

Got the SunRace 7 speed 34-13 freewheel in today.

20230318_091253.jpg

Finally got the time to fix the Sidewinder. The newly manufactured SunRace 7-speed 34-13 (34,28,24,21,18,15,13) freewheel is working great; let's hope this one last 10+ years as well.
20230321_155737.jpg

Here's the custom-made 7-speed 34-13 (34,28,24,21,18,15,13) I built 10 years ago. The cogs were only around 2 years old the SunRace core was around 10 years old.

20230321_155417.jpg
20230321_155524.jpg

This is what a blown-out freewheel core looks like

20230321_155542.jpg

20230321_155550.jpg

20230321_155618.jpg

Many years ago when I was on Yahoo Answers Cycling, I often stated that bicycle accessories manufacturers should make loud horns, daylight visible signal lights, and DLV brake lights for bicycles. Of course that sent the spandex warriors into a rage saying such accessories weren't necessary.
Well this is what happened to one "spandex warrior" over the weekend...A 17 year old professional racer who has been in international worldwide competitions...Sadly for him and his family, he is dead now.

The exact detail aren't really clear.

White, who was wearing a helmet, was riding south on the shoulder of Colorado State Highway 119 when a 23-year-old Colorado woman behind the wheel of a Toyota Matrix drove onto the shoulder from the right lane and struck him from behind, throwing him off the bike, Colorado Highway Patrol told The Post, citing a preliminary incident report.
The Toyota then traveled off the right side of the road down an embankment before the car slammed into a fence and stopped, highway patrol said.

However, this is why many cyclist feel safer in the center of a lane than on a shoulder. All too often drivers are only watching what's directly in front of them and paying no attention to what's happening on the sides.

It appears this young woman was paying no attention to what was on the side of the road even though the cyclist was also in front of her. She must've gotten distracted and drifted onto the shoulder. Seem there may not have been any warning ruts on the shoulder either or the shoulder was too narrow for the cyclist to be using.

Back