I'm brand new. saying hello

Reading the questions I have been warned about one thing that I would not have thought of by myself; the chain tensioner loosening and bending down into the spokes. This is good; I'll know to watch out for it before I even install then engines. how do you suppose it would work to build a tensioner support that runs from the horizontal frame tube all the way up to the tube that runs from the axle up to the seat post? there would be no chance of that getting into the spokes. any drawbacks that I am not considering? Thanks.

Bluegoat, welcome to MBc. The chain tensioner loosening and pivoting into the spokes is a very real possibility. It happened to a friend of mine and he took out 20 spokes before he got the bike stopped. I use two things to prevent that from happening. First, wrap some friction tape around the chainstay where you will be mounting the tensioner. Then once you mount the tensioner, use blue Lock-tite on the nuts and make sure they are tightened all the way. With the vibration given off by these little motors, Lock-tite is your best friend. But perhaps this discussion would be better off continued in the "Frame-Mounted Engines & Drive-Trains" section of this forum.
Cheers!
-Kilroy

the easiest thing to avoid this whole problem is not to use one if your bike allows it. My bike i don't need the tentioner, Alot smoother if its adjusted right.

Back