I'm brand new. saying hello

bluegoatwoods

Local time
3:35 PM
Hi all,
I'm a life-long bicycle rider. It's probably not going too far to say that it's humanitys noblest invention. I've even had some success teaching my daughters to love bicycles. I've been thinking about motorizing a bike for years. Even tried it with a lawnmower engine about 10 yrs back. Mounted it over the front tire, rigged up a lever to push the crankshaft up to the tire for a friction drive. It took off just fine. Enough to frighten me, as a matter of fact. But when I stopped my "clutch" didn't pull it away enough and it immediately ruined the tire. Oh well.
Anyway, yesterday I ordered two 49cc two-strokes from thatsdax. The type that fit inside the frame with a chain drive. I'll rig up a bike for myself and one for my youngest daughter. If it all works out, then I'll order more to get my whole family going. If anyone would like to offer me their thoughts on pros and cons of this type of motor and, for that matter, the pros and cons of other types I would appreciate it.
I'm a decent bicycle mechanic. At least I am able to replace and adjust bearings, true wheels, adjust brakes and so on. I have quite a bit of experience with that stuff, now that I think about it.
So I'm looking forward to a lot of riding and I'm looking forward to sharing info and ideas with anyone I can. Thanks and so long.

Hello, and welcome. I would've ordered the 65cc for yourself and the 49cc for your daughter. I hope your not looking for alot of power from the 49cc for yourself. Do some searching on the different engines around hear to give you an idea what to expect. But anyway you are going to have FUN and FRUSTRATION with these engines.

Hey Bluegoat Welcome to MBc! Home of many answers, and awaiting your ideas.

General request to all new members.
Please, before posting any questions, do a search. Then READ,READ,READ.
There is a ton of information here. Many of your engine and performance issues in the Garage & Tech/Mech Help have already been covered. Here at MBc we are the home of nearly all MoteredBike questions. If you search and are unable to find your answer, don't hesitate to post your question. Were here for each other! Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
welcome! don't know how old your "youngest" daughter is, but these things can go pretty fast! under 8-10 and you may need to look at somehow governing it. Probably wouldn't be too hard, just doesn't come stock!

My daughter is 14 and pretty bicycle-savvy. So I see no problem there. Though I suppose I will have to watch out for her natural desire to hot-dog at high speeds. Still, she's pretty sensible. I'm sure she can handle 49cc if I keep a bit of an eye on her. In fact I probably need to worry more about her destroying the bike than destroying herself.
Reading the questions I have been warned about one thing that I would not have thought of by myself; the chain tensioner loosening and bending down into the spokes. This is good; I'll know to watch out for it before I even install then engines. how do you suppose it would work to build a tensioner support that runs from the horizontal frame tube all the way up to the tube that runs from the axle up to the seat post? there would be no chance of that getting into the spokes. any drawbacks that I am not considering? Thanks.

fair enough, 14 she should be just fine! Look around the site for tensioner ideas, there are tons of people that have built their own. At least one person has one mounted to the motor housing, via a hole drilled in the sprocket cover.

Back