I'm fairly new to this, and want to make the most out of my budget

CalculativeCadaver

Local time
10:51 AM
I've never really used a forum before, so I'm sorry if I'm going about this all wrong.

I was hoping that some of you nice people on here, could give me an idea of how to make the most out of a budget of 400 USD.

I'm starting completely from scratch, and don't even have a normal bicycle yet. What I need is an idea of what I could/should get, in order to give myself a bike that I can use as temporary transportation to and from work, until I can get enough cash saved up for a cheap car. (My last one broke down, and if I'm being honest, I'll be lucky to even get the 400 I need out of selling it)

Are you familiar with the mechanics of a bicycle? You can pick up a fairly economical bike on your local craigs, but most of the time they have to be gone through and tuned up before they're any good for a motor.

Are you familiar with the mechanics of a bicycle? You can pick up a fairly economical bike on your local craigs, but most of the time they have to be gone through and tuned up before they're any good for a motor.

What do you mean? At risk of asking a stupid question, how does one tune up a bicycle? And since this is going to be my main form of transportation, I intend on ordering a brand new one off the internet. Would even a brand new bike still need a tune up?

A new bike won't need a tune up unless you have to assemble it when it arrives. Tune ups on bikes can be as easy as adjusting the brakes to a rebuild of both axles. Most used bikes need the axles greased at the very minimum.

Help tip: don't get a bike with a coaster brake.

Depends on if you want a cruiser bike or a road bike. Looking for a good used bike for under $100 plus $150 for a motor kit saves a lot of that $400.

What you want is a bike with enough room inside the frame to make mounting a motor easier.

Here are 2 bikes I have built, and 1 that is my present project.
The first is a 700c Walmart road bike I bought for $90 with the motor kit. I fixed it up and sold it to a fellow that had no drivers license for $250. Just what I had in it.
The second is a Giant Suede cruiser that cost $500 new, and the last is a bike I bought for $100 and am installing a nice 66/80 kit I found for $120 on ebay.
If you use Facebook, look in the Marketplace for a bike. This is the time of year to find a good deal.

20200723_121219.jpg20200906_171257.jpg20201030_135019.jpg

this depends on several factors,

1. how long of a trip? 10 miles, 100 miles?
2. how good are you in terms of fixing stuff (ie, can you service a bike? and can you fix a small engine?)
3. what kind of conditions is this bike going to endure (ie, gravel roads, crappy roads, nice smooth highway?)

id recommend at least get an older STEEL framed mountain bike (good name brand, trek, giant, Cannondale, etc) go to a bicycle shop and have them tune it up for you (be sure to have them grease all the bearings) if you cant do it your self.

and get a kit
linked here

then go to home depot and get better bolts since these are GARBAGE! they will break on the worst time on you, and you will save yourself from it by GETTING THEM RIGHT AWAY!

and don't forget to lictite every bolt to keep them from loosening up.

Heres a video on the general maintenance of these things.

after you get a bit of experience, modify how you want it to be! play with the gearing and enjoy your new-found hobby! (the diamondback bike was my first motorized bike, rode it to school and back every day! i think it had 4000 something miles on it before i sold it to my buddy who still rides it.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I've never really used a forum before, so I'm sorry if I'm going about this all wrong.

I was hoping that some of you nice people on here, could give me an idea of how to make the most out of a budget of 400 USD.

I'm starting completely from scratch, and don't even have a normal bicycle yet. What I need is an idea of what I could/should get, in order to give myself a bike that I can use as temporary transportation to and from work, until I can get enough cash saved up for a cheap car. (My last one broke down, and if I'm being honest, I'll be lucky to even get the 400 I need out of selling it)

There are 4 stroke kits and 2 stroke kits. Auto clutch or Manual clutch. Do you have a favorite in mind? Dose your state have strict M/B laws?
Personally for transportation to work and to be legal as a M/Bicycle in most states I would go with a 49cc 4 stroke with auto clutch kit.

Okay, I've got basic experience repairing bikes, as I used to do it a lot for me and my friends back when I was younger (we were pretty wreckless) the distance it'll need to carry me is somewhere between 10-20 miles both ways, and the types of terrain I'll be riding on will mainly consist of gravel amd crappy roads. From what I can gather, I'll want a cruiser, seeing as they look more comfortable to ride for long periods of time, and after doing some looking, I've noticed some have a basket in the back, that I can set tools or gas, just in case. All this in mind, what's a good brand cruiser I can get for 200-250, and what kit has the best balance of speed and reliability I can get for 150- 200?

here's a good bike that in your budget, these can usually be found on sale for 250$

they also make a single-speed version for 229$

kits will all need some form of modification, its best off just getting the cheaper one and doing the work yourself, since it'll be more reliable then
what some guy "did" to it.

I spoke to some kid had nice looking navy cruiser and engine he order it on internet completely built he said it only cost him $350.00 but damn I forgot to ask him the name of the company cuz I want one too!

If your not a mechanic don't worry a lot of 7 year old kids learn it without experience. I would look around for a good use bike you might pick up go $20.00 at a Good well store or ARC junk store I guess a kit gonna cost $150.00 to $250.00 unless you search ebay for something like Hong Kong direct for $100.00 flat but I did that and it was a.peice of crap and a month shipping buy us distributor when you swear your profanities they understand Chinese just smile they don't your even puss.

Back