I'm going for it!

havemurci

Local time
10:31 AM
Hey guys,

In a few days I should be receiving in the mail my brand new 49cc engine from ZoomBicycles. I've decided to keep everything motor-related stock, but I have ordered a few parts to make it safer (upgraded brake shoes, lighting, seat, mirror, etc.) It's going on a very cheap 24" Roadmaster from Wal-Mart. I've started by taking the rubber off the handles and repainting it.

I've done a lot of reading about how these shouldn't be used too much on gravel. This is somewhat concerning for me as quite a bit of the riding I plan to do will be on gravel roads, with hills at that. How do you think my 49cc Chinese engine will do with the stock 44T sprocket and 24" wheels in terms of torque?

It's not really an urgent question, as I'll be finding out for myself in just a few days. In the meantime, let me leave you with a picture of my bike's frame. Expect to see more in the days to come!

--Mark

Attachments

• Photo 188.jpg
    Photo 188.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 136
Hi and welcome to MBc.
Go easy, break it in slow and you'll be ok. Good idea on the upgrades.

it will do fine on gravel roads(unless you get a flat tire).
you might need to remove your front derailer to make room for rear engine mount.
you will have plenty of torque but with the 24" wheels you will have less top speed than a 26",probally around 25mph but im just guessing.

Welcome to the forum. Wide tires and a front brake will make riding on gravel easier, but riding smoothly will help the most.

you really have to be careful on the gravel considering.
you end up "riding" the bike more with an engine vs. being "stuck" to the bike while pedalling if that makes any sence. IE you dont think about resting some of the weight on the front wheel for effeciency right? you just grip the bars like a motorcycle!
front brakes are a must for a gravel road ride, and perhaps a bit less tire pressure up front to help out keeping things directed.
welcome to mbc

loose gravel + front brakes applied in panic DONT mix.

its not an issue of safety, its an issue of rider capicity. you should have them and learn them.....

Okay, after ~ 20 hours of work or so over the past few days, I finally got it running.

HOWEVER

When it's running, I get exhaust coming out of not only the pipe but also from the general area of the motor itself. Also, when I turn it off I notice a fine black spray around EVERYTHING close to the motor (and my bike's frame) that can only be some sort of combusted material. Any thoughts? I'm not sure if I'm losing compression, and I have NO idea how to adjust the engine (choke, carb settings, etc.) All I know how to do is prime the engine so I can start it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and any help you can give me is appreciated.

Pics will follow as soon as I can get them up.

Back