I'm just a newbie here to..(choosing a bike)

R

RandyK

Kind of get an idea on what goes best with what on these bikes.. because im trying to get one of these badboys since i seen bikeguy joes in action.. bikes r sweet! any suggestions?? im all ears!! thx

decide how you will ride ie: do you want fast, comfortable, stylin' ?
find a bike you like, and follow Joe's lead, it looks like he will be a big help to you

enjoy, it only takes a 5 minute ride to make break out the ear-to-ear smile for me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

azkronic said:
decide how you will ride ie: do you want fast, comfortable, stylin' ?
find a bike you like, and follow Joe's lead, it looks like he will be a big help to you

enjoy, it only takes a 5 minute ride to make break out the ear-to-ear smile for me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Yea cool. Actually i want a lil bit of all fast,comfort.. ect but yea he will

The absolute easiest bike is a one-speed coaster brakes cruiser.

But if you want hand brakes (yes) and variable speed for occasionally peddling (yes) then a 3 speed bike OR a 7 speed bike is good enough.

Any higher than that and you have doubled the derailleur troubles, etc, and for the noticable difference vs. future maintainance/tweaking, 3 or 7 speeds is just as good as 10/14/18/21/24 speeds.

This is especially true if the engine is going to operate over 95% of the time, like mine do, I never shift out of high speed (7th)

Also in the COMFORT catagory, foam handlebar grips are a lot better for long distance than any rubber types. I hate that ribbed rubber feeling, unless I'm wearing gloves.

Choose the sturdiest frame, everything else can be changed. You will wanna buy new rims with 12-guage spokes (that means just buy the wheel with the thickest spokes you see) buy one of those wide seats with the spring suspension, it makes SO MUCH difference to your ride comfort.

Front suspension is nice, too.

I got a cheap Huffie mountain bike, changed everything that wasn't the frame. Only the wheels ever gave me trouble, but that was before I switched them.

If you plan on being able to still pedal, then don't buy a cheapie bike. Their chain drives always break right away, or get out of line, or just fall off.

for me, though. The bikes weight made no difference, it weighs over 100 lb on its own without rider and still gets me past 40 with no trouble, acceleration is awesome and powerful too.

I'm just speaking from my own experience here.

Keep in mind- front suspension precludes adding a basket, UNLESS you reinforce the two legs. Because those legs won't flex with the spring on the suspension, the weakest points are at the bottom where the extra axle holes are drilled.

bamabikeguy said:
The absolute easiest bike is a one-speed coaster brakes cruiser.

But if you want hand brakes (yes) and variable speed for occasionally peddling (yes) then a 3 speed bike OR a 7 speed bike is good enough.

Any higher than that and you have doubled the derailleur troubles, etc, and for the noticable difference vs. future maintainance/tweaking, 3 or 7 speeds is just as good as 10/14/18/21/24 speeds.

This is especially true if the engine is going to operate over 95% of the time, like mine do, I never shift out of high speed (7th)

Also in the COMFORT catagory, foam handlebar grips are a lot better for long distance than any rubber types. I hate that ribbed rubber feeling, unless I'm wearing gloves.
oh ok thanks man

Back