Im just a (pic heavy) vandal now

FurryOnTheInside

In Memoriam
Local time
2:23 PM
I'm being offered a respite stay at the local hospice, though Im waiting to get new locks on my place first because its a bit dodgy around here to say the least.
Anyway, I want to have an option to explore the country lanes around the hospice, because it is in a lovely hilly setting. Hills are rather difficult for me now, and the hospice will not allow me to bring my gas bike inside my room lol! So I need a spotlessly clean, pure electric bike that is gleaming and smells of nothing.

So I'm putting the pure electric build together today, or at least i thought i was. I might need some advice at the end of this post. I'm interested in hearing what YOU would do anyway. 😄

So, onto the... MY 😬 vandalism, yes...

I just got my big adjustable wrench, and got a grip of my world cup downhill frame by its dangly bits.. okay by the lowest of its international standard chain retainer fitting lugs, and I deliberately snapped it off! 😲😭

..I think it hurt me more than the Orange 224 evolution with the factory-custom-painted Boxxer WC fork for a team rider, presumably the local guy so its just local northern mtb scene history I've destroyed. 😭😭🤫😳

Couldn't fit the Bafang BBS02 onto an international standard frame. 😓

Thanks Bafang. That's really great design. 🤥

Well, I have done the deed now, so the rest of the installation better damn well work! Otherwise I will have wrecked a valuable piece of equipment, or at least devalued it greatly, for no reason at all.

So onto the next problem! 😂😂😂 Obviously! 😂😂😂
Bolts to retain the BBS02 into the BB shell were too short and no alternatives were provided.
20200711_135009.jpg

I found a couple of other bolts to use instead.
20200711_135106.jpg

And the correct Loctite, which I noticed nobody on the so-called instructional videos ever uses. 😅

Next I tried them on my BBS02 to see how close they pull the BBS to the plate on the lhs.

They really do need some washers as spacers I think, or something, idk. The M33 BB nut is on in this picture, to keep the plate flat to the BB shell, and the M6 bolts are able to bend or at least flex the steel plate.

It didnt look right having exposed threads there.
I at least want to cover them in grease and then cover them with a spacer. Threads exposed plus electricity, plus sea spray/ sea air...?

I dont want to leave it like this.
There is another part left to fit! There is a locking nut to go on top of the M33 BB nut, but there are absolutely no threads left for it!

What would YOU do? 🥺
What would MTB Jesus do? 😫
I already vandalised the frame! 😥

The locking nut has about 5mm of threads. 🧐
Would you try to hacksaw off the 5mm width from the rhs of the bottom bracket?
That means the entire chain guide mount?!? Then have to grind it and file it until its perfectly flat and square again? Is that even possible?! 😭

Interested in knowing anyone's thoughts anyway. 😅

Well, it is obvious I can't use my hacksaw to slice down the edge of the chain retainer fitting lug/ flange. Thats impossible.

I will have to remove the flange entirely so there is nothing there to shove the blade inboard. I need to only remove the 5mm. And make sure the face of the BB shell is perfectly flat and square.
Without removing too much! 😓

Wish i had an angle grinder but I dont.
I have a bench grinder but the frame is too big and unwieldy to use that.
I have a rotary tool for porting and not much besides. I might need to use it at some point in this.

I will probably be using the hacksaw and hand files instead. Like a person from the 20th century. 👨‍🔧
Here’s a song for you 20th century people! Beastie Boys Sabotage covered by Dempagumi.Inc

I actually cba taking the front and rear sections of the frame apart. I will have to wrap it up. Hope for the best!

Haha sorry I have bad luck so I know hoping for the best is a ridiculous thing to do! 😅

I need to go and solder an XT90 connector on the BBS02 anyway. 🙄

Last edited:
For 🤬 sake. Now the 🤬 BB nut tool i got in a cheap supermarket kit (because I don't work with 💩 old standards! Haha) doesn't work to loosen the BB nut!
It can only fit one way, and barely had any purchase on the nut even then, due to 💩💩💩 design.
It is "designed" incorrectly. 😡
Please humanity design 💩 that works by actually designing 💩 to work! Otherwise I get 🤬 frustrated.

I went looking for my mole grips to try them on it, not sure what you guys call them.. locking, gripping, wrenching... pipe wrench? 👨‍🔧
I can't find them immediately anyway. 😑

So I got the next best thing... alcoholic beverages. Chilling now. It is evening here. 😊
I won't explode today. 😅

Yeah thats it! That is exactly what I'm not happy with. Not getting a locking nut onto my BB then putting 5kg, 11lbs weight, with 750W power, whatever that is in terms of its torque can't remember right now, taking it to mtb trail centres or local woods trails, rattling its bones for hours in wet and cold and sun and wet and mud and having plenty of fun, and jumping. WHEN it comes loose then it will mess up an alloy downhill frame. Bloody nice downhill frame that I would love to keep in a reasonable condition to pass on to family when I leave.

Back