Im missing something

built_not_bought

Local time
4:46 PM
Ok, was riding the other day. Exhaust decides to rattle loose and fall off. Had no tools and no choice but to continue the ride. Had to go about 15miles to fix. At first everything was fine. The last 3 miles I had alot of bogging. It literally stopped in my driveway.... Ok now time to fix. Only now it seems my clutch wont engage. Loosened the flower nut. Released the clutch cable. Redid bith as if a fresh setup and nothing. When I pull in the clutch it rolls freely. When I dont pull in the clutch it rolls very rough as if trying to start but wont start. I have compression, I have spark, gas is on and Im lost.....

Chance are it's the woodroof key on your right front drive gear.
That goofy looking tool you got with your kit is how you pull the gear to look.

Im lacking that tool... Im going to order another... I think this time Im going to fix it and sell it. I want to go 4 stroke. Seems a little better as a daily rider to me. Thanks for the idea to check.

if muffler was completely off with no part of pipe still there, you might have seized the piston a bit - pop the head off and look at cylinder wall - if it doesn't have any large scrapes in it smear a lot of oil in there and with head still off roll bike to see how piston runs up and down - if it feels a bit stiff at first, then gets easier you may be OK then

Took head off, walls look great, piston goes up and down smoothly. Walls still look brand new. Plug end looks normal as far as temp goes.. I might be to close to the project. Might need to step back and think before another approach. Sometimes it helps.

if it moves well with head off and not with head on, I'd first think it was just your clutch slipping

It moves with it on and off. I adjusted the clutch cable and the flower nut/pressure plate (guess that describes it) When I pull the clutch lever it releases and rolls smoothly. Release the lever and it still rolls just wont catch and crank...

f it doesn't move well with head on, it is just your clutch slipping

Im lacking that tool... Im going to order another... I think this time Im going to fix it and sell it. I want to go 4 stroke. Seems a little better as a daily rider to me. Thanks for the idea to check.

Things will fall off a 4 stroke with the same care they do on a 2 stroke.
I have over a thousand miles on my 2 stroke bicycle and this weekend met a guy who has put many more thousands on his 2 stroke bike since 2012. Wow, I'm getting a little defensive, sorry about that. Just that I love these little 2 strokes. Cheap, light, simple, easy, powerful. Remember; "a poor tradesman blames his tools".

First off, buy a torque wrench and tighten all bolts to the proper torque. That is why your pipe fell off.
Not too much, not too little, just right tight.
Second, do not continue to ride with a problem. First sign of trouble, stop and solve it or use the pedals.
3rd, pipe falling off did not damage the clutch. It was not set up well originally.
Read up back posts about how to set it up.
Set up the clutch, check your compression, check for spark and gas, repair any problems and try again.

A prime rule in trouble shooting is "put everything to the as-designed state".

Steve

I do love them as well. This is my 8th build. I end up selling them or giving them to homeless traveling vets... We pressurized the motor this morning with smoke. Seems as if the gasket on the bottom of the jug has a 2" piece missing... So I have found the compression leak. Now to figure out an easy fix for that. Any tips on making a gasket? Keep in mind this is my only means of transportation (temporarily) our nearest auto store is 60miles (give or take) and we do have a walmart (yay us) I dont really know anybody since I just moved here so asking for rides is out. Anything I can make a homemade gasket with?

Back