I'm perplexed...

I had a cheapie fuel filter on my gas line and the slow jet was getting clogged every other ride till I turned the filter around. Seems like some of the paper from the filter was coming off and clogging up the jet.
Don't rely on the cheap metal filter inside the gas tank.

Rig up a different gas supply with a new filter. You are running out of gas -even if your current tank if full.

Jaguar and professor both have good ideas. By using a different fuel supply with a GOOD fuel filter you eliminate the possibility of anything else being clogged. (tank, filter, lines, ect.) If it wont run then, take a closer look at the carb.
Red.

Thank you all for your responses so far.

I've got a sintered bronze in-line fuel filter (and no filtering inside the gas tank). I've shut off the fuelcock with the engine running, and have let the engine run until it was out of gas. At that point, through the clear housing of the fuel filter, I can see that the filter has no gas in it.

When I turn the fuelcock valve to OPEN, gasoline quickly fills the filter. So I know that there's no blockage up to the filter.

The sintered bronze filter element looks very clean, but my next diagnostic step will be to bypass the filter by temporarily running a fuel line directly from the fuelcock to the carb. If my problems persist, I'll at least know that I'm good from the tank to the carb.

Also, I've cleaned the slow jet as part of my total carb ******, and I've run the engine with the gas cap off of the tank to make sure that the cap is venting.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Not a good idea to run without a filter, even for just a minute. Any crap in the tank will go directly into the carb.
Big Red.

Thanks for the advice, Red. Yeah, I guess it wouldn't make any sense to risk clogging the carb by running unfiltered. My scientific diagnosis method would be out the window!

I'm going to find another sintered bronze, clear filter somewhere locally tomorrow if I can.

Kragen's/O'rielly's sells a pretty good little filter in the SMALL ENGINE DEPT. for about $3. Don't go to the auto section,those are way too big. Ask where the small engine stuff is. Get the clear one, the little red one they sell is crap.
fatdaddy.

Well, gents, I believe I figured out my problem: I happened to notice some very fine droplets of motor oil on the headfins on the shaft side of my engine, and on top of the stainless-steel gearbox cover that's adjacent to those fins. Apparently, the Chinese use cylinder head casting techniques that result in thin spots and other problems.

My wife has high-powered dental loupes with a very bright LED light array mounted between the lenses so that she can clearly see inside her patients' mouths. I borrowed the loupes and took a look at my Huasheng, and I clearly saw very fine pinholes in the metal between the headfins.

These pinholes would explain why my engine would run somewhat OK until it was hot: the hot metal would expand, making the holes larger, sucking in air (and spattering out a bit of Mobil 1) and causing the engine to bog.

So instead of risking an unsightly and messy repair with JB Weld, or something along those lines, I ordered a brand new Honda GXH50.

My wife was surprised to see the engine on display in our kitchen this morning! I think it's a beautiful little piece of technology. Now, I'm hoping for raging reliability, and many miles of fun this summer and fall. I'll be bolting it into my bike frame some time in the coming week...

GXH50.jpg

Well, gents, I believe I figured out my problem: I happened to notice some very fine droplets of motor oil on the headfins on the shaft side of my engine, and on top of the stainless-steel gearbox cover that's adjacent to those fins. Apparently, the Chinese use cylinder head casting techniques that result in thin spots and other problems.

My wife has high-powered dental loupes with a very bright LED light array mounted between the lenses so that she can clearly see inside her patients' mouths. I borrowed the loupes and took a look at my Huasheng, and I clearly saw very fine pinholes in the metal between the headfins.

These pinholes would explain why my engine would run somewhat OK until it was hot: the hot metal would expand, making the holes larger, sucking in air (and spattering out a bit of Mobil 1) and causing the engine to bog.
The cylinder on your huasheng has a iron liner inside the aluminum casting.
Where between the fins are you saying it was coming from?

Your new Honda has the same iron liner.

MBR: I saw pinholes between the fins, on the rounded external cylinder area. So, the Huasheng has an iron liner?! Now, this has really gotten baffling! I first saw the spattered oil on top of my gearbox cover, and I assumed it was coming from between the valve cover and the head.

At any rate, once I have the Honda engine mounted, I'm going to do a postmortem on the Huasheng to see what I can find.

Back