Imminent Death of the 48/49/50cc HT engine

JerboaJohn

Local time
10:06 AM
I was thinking about this today after browsing a few sites in search of specific parts for the little HT engines. All sellers and vendors feature everything for 66/80cc HT's and very little or no parts for 49cc 2 stroke. You'll have a hard time to rebuild your little engine but you love it; It has a lot of potential, but worldwide sales are eclipsed by the 66cc, forcing sellers to only deal with that engine and cylinder parts specific to it. Fred of CR machine won't make any CNC heads, a few still exist in vendor hands for $85. I make my own,, Need a head gasket? not easy. Want a copper one? nope. There's still many cylinders and 40mm piston kits, but dwindling supply of complete HT engines. China is following the profits and I really think they stopped making 48/49cc HT bicycle engines last year sometime. What exists now is all there is on the shelf, and by next year, you won't see any but rarely.
I think best if you want to maintain one for the next few years, you get 2 complete engines and 2 or 3 cylinder n piston kits and a couple extra pistons + rings now.

small 4 strokes are getting the lion share of 50cc and under production, and they are getting very good. even I saw a 360 deg rotatable 4 stroke 43cc (I think,) for $129. mounting it on anything would not be a problem. redline was stated to be 9K-13k rpm and 1.5hp.

I'm very sad that I want something and it's not available in all the major places you might look for them, but the hobby of mb's is changing and progressing and the little high revving 49cc HT is quickly becoming a dinosaur, as I am too lol.

i think its just supply and demand, as much as i like 50cc 2 strokes. most people want the most bang for there buck, would you prefer a 66cc/80cc engine or a 50cc engine for the same price? i would get the 66cc, as most would. thats why there dieing out (imo) you could still get them, just dont expect to get preformence parts for them. thats what the 66cc is for, its much more popular. i prefer the 66cc, there not that off balence as people make them out to be. and there very reliable.
heres another example, would you get a honda cb300r or a honda cbr600rr for the same price?
see what i mean, you dont need the power, but you want it.

Let's get this straight to avoid confusion,the ht engines are not 49cc and there is no way to end up at 49cc they are mostly all 48cc with the odd 50cc.The only reason I have a true 50cc is because of the 40mm stroke crank used, 40mm bore x 40mm stroke =50.27cc's and most of these engines have 40mm bore and 38mm stroke so that = 47.75 that they call a 48cc there is no way with factory (stock) parts to get a 49cc it doesn't add up!If we were to use Zeda's 39.5mm crank the final displacement would be 49.64cc's but again since it's allways rounded up and .64 is over the half it would still be called a 50cc.Back in 08-09 when Grubee started doing the super rat and mouse engines they also did a line of Starfire engines intended for the Austrailian and Canadain market's these engines were configured differently and had a different geometry, they were 40mm stroke with 17mm mains the same as the rat and mouse engines but with the standerd magneto and cdi not the intergraded ones that are still used today.This crank with it's larger mains uses 6203 bearings and the case has it's bosses 2mm in dia larger for this setup so changing out the crank to todays 15mm mains can't be easily done.Jag talked about having a 55cc varient and i'm not sure how he came up with that since I've never seen a 42mm bore cylinder there has been a 40mm,45mm and the 47mm and none would measure to 55cc with a stock crank.

just a side note, I have a 42.8mm jug I made a thread abt from BGF. it's probably rare and I can't get more of them tho I search. I'm chalking it up to a manufacturing error. I can send it to ya for inspection if you're curious,, if there's this one, there could be more in the wild.
the 40mm HT's are variously marketed as 49 or 50cc even tho they're actually 47.752.

It's a miracle we can still get 2 strokes in America. I will always love the 2 stroke smell sound feel and raw power. It's the people that can't accept the fact that the Earth has been warming for 10 thousand years straight (yes, we are still warming since the last ice age, no it's not man's doing, it's the sun) that will force our beautifully simple technology out of existence.

It's a miracle we can still get 2 strokes in America. I will always love the 2 stroke smell sound feel and raw power. It's the people that can't accept the fact that the Earth has been warming for 10 thousand years straight (yes, we are still warming since the last ice age, no it's not man's doing, it's the sun) that will force our beautifully simple technology out of existence.

By that time, Humanity should have already colonized/inhabited another planet, i'd think :eek:

It's way sooner than you think legislation has already been passed to phase out 2 strokes from American snowmobile manufactures. I believe they were given a extension. Once the Americans aren't allowed to sell 2 strokes, the EPA will no longer let us import them. How else could you make a snowmobile cost 20 Grand.

So how long before we start to inhabit other planets?
I'm thinking way sooner than we think.

Fly Safe! :)

Back