Imminent Death of the 48/49/50cc HT engine

oh a super caldera volcano under Yellowstone park's gonna go. and when it does it'll be an extinction event,, temps climbing half a degree every few years ain't nothing compared to 2/3 of the US buried in ash and darker skies for the whole earth.
so I'm run my 2 stroke wide open much as i can and get 2 backup CGs to keep me set for like next 5 years. I figure you can get 2 yrs out one on average, ,

This thread highly divergefied, and I apologize for helping hijack it.

What I've been saying all along is that we can make clean running 2 strokes. Flying horse is already doing this.

epa-engine-template-66-black.jpg

I worked in the scooter repair business, and that image I posted earlier of the Adly Thunderjet 50, well that bike came with a catalyst, just like the ones on automobiles, but smaller and all it needs to work is the exhaust heat and fumes from a 2 cycle engine. Some scooter makers add their own air source upstream of the cat, fed by a one way valve that works on the venturi principle to a nipple in the header tube to make the catalyst light off sooner.

It's a proven tech, Tanaka and Husky weedeaters are using the same clean burn technology, in many ways you can more easily make a two stroke burn clean than you can a 4 stroke small engine.

So these concerns about 2 strokes being too old school because of pollutants are not valid any more, in fact I'd expect that the recent run of unitized head/cylinder bike engine kits will start coming with working catalysts soon.

I should post a video of my Husky weedie as it warms up under load. You can see the smoke from the engine slowly start going away as the cat heats up and starts burning off the residual gasoline and oil. It's a game changer and it's been here since 2006.

I saw that come out and asked BB if a replacement muffler was available but they said no.
but the Mazda rotary was oil injected and had cats and part of the reason it was canned was emissions.
4 strokes like the 34cc I posted about little while ago, are taking over another advantage of 2 strokes, that they can be used on any angle...

I saw that come out and asked BB if a replacement muffler was available but they said no.
but the Mazda rotary was oil injected and had cats and part of the reason it was canned was emissions.
4 strokes like the 34cc I posted about little while ago, are taking over another advantage of 2 strokes, that they can be used on any angle...

Well that's largely because of they're borrowing Honda's GX 25-31-35 oil mist pumping system, and the pumper carbs. You can run an HT engine at any position and angle if they're equipped with a pumper carb.

The big trick is: can China figure out a way to make a 4 stroke of 48cc's or less that makes the same power and torque of a HT engine while maintaining the same overall narrowness and light weight, a plus would be to include a forced air cooling fan/shroud.

Back in 1959 Honda introduced the Super cub C-100 49 cc step-though bikes. Their little pushrod 49 cc 4 stroke made 4.5 h.p. at 9K. And if you think about it, Honda used an entire top end cast in iron. The Harleys at that time, the 51 cu.in Sportster was barely able to make over 45 h.p.. Compared to the 2.99 cu in Honda making 4.5 horsepower.

Small engines suffer from high thermal losses so if you could take the little Honda and bump it's size up to a inline or V twin of 51 cu.in. , it would probably make well over 60 h.p. I like to remind Harley owners that my little 50 makes more power stock per cu. in. than their potato potato Porkster does. China could make a lightened version of the OHV Honda 50 with the same footprint as the HT engine. Lifan and Dongfeng both make Honda horizontal clones.

Back