In all honesty how many miles have you gotten on your HT motor before it wears out???

Local time
11:04 AM
I have had 7 or 8 HT engines and none of them have lasted very long before they lost power and died....I maintain them and use plenty of oil,but they always wear out....I am thinking that running WOT most of the time is my problem and if I run at a cruising speed of around 22 mph or so it will last alot longer....Like any motor if your running full tilt its bound to burn up or wear out to fast....
So how many miles have you gotten out of your HT engines?Be honest....
John

I've had two HT engines. Didn't actually measure the mileage before I gave up on them, but they were in the hundreds, I suppose. Not really all that impressive, is it? But then, I don't suppose they can be expected to last all that long. There's not much there.

I get the impression, though, that the guys here who really know these engines inside and out (and can repair and upgrade) can get four figures out of them pretty easily. Except when they get the occasional dog.

1800miles and counting!, 20:1 mix, WOT all of time, its rock engine, lots of power!
1800 miles at WOT!!!!That is crazy!!!! The thing that wears these engines out quicker is running it full tilt all the time....I have always ran mine at WOT as well but they never last that long....The new engine that I put on last week,im running it at around 22 mph instead of the WOT at 28 to 30 mph....Im going to see how much that helps in making these engines last longer....

Someone wrote about how the only way to get any life out of these motors was to use a shift kit to keep the rpm's down and I have to agree with him....
John

Normally, i only WOT uphill and straight roads, only until i reach my mental limit - 31 or 32mph with 44t sprocket (7200RPM).

Downhill i do 2 simple things: or i push the clutch lever (engine at idle), or i just push a little the throttle for a 25mph steady speed.

I always use 5% oil mix, Putoline TT Sport, i think its semi synthetic, with JASO FD, its perfect for me!.

2 or 3 problems i had...(dont know exactly how i say in english (portuguese here), its the little end of the shaft, righ side of engine, connected to crankshaft..it broke. I installed a new one, and its perfect.

DSC00562.jpg

Normally, i only WOT uphill and straight roads, only until i reach my mental limit - 31 or 32mph with 44t sprocket (7200RPM).

Downhill i do 2 simple things: or i push the clutch lever (engine at idle), or i just push a little the throttle for a 25mph steady speed.

I always use 5% oil mix, Putoline TT Sport, i think its semi synthetic, with JASO FD, its perfect for me!.

2 or 3 problems i had...(dont know exactly how i say in english (portuguese here), its the little end of the shaft, righ side of engine, connected to crankshaft..it broke. I installed a new one, and its perfect.

DSC00562.jpg
DanielMaia that is a nice looking bike....I also eather pull in my clutch going down hill or just back off the throttle....

Im hoping by only driving at half throttle with this new engine it will last alot longer....I hear some people claiming they are getting 6 or 7 thousand miles out of there engines and I just dont believe this nonsense....You can always tell when someone is full of it becouse they will not only claim 6 or 7 thousand miles but they will add there bike goes 40+ mph with a 44 tooth sprocket and that is just bull ****....

Ok I got 61 miles on new motor and im driving at around 22 mph and a few times taking it up to 28 mph....I am going to just keep running it a half throttle and hopfully this will make a big difference in the life of the motor....
John

Back