in propper gearing or bad clutch?

MTS221993

Local time
12:30 PM
Hello there,
I just finished putting together a gas trike 79cc kit on a schwinn meridian. went together easy enough. I have the governor removed on the predator but this thing won't rev high at all when I'm on it . for example I usually help it get started and start pedaling a little bit turn the throttle cutch kicks in and it will do 15-20 mph and won't rev any higher. I put it on jack stands and let the wheel spin free and it revs to the moon if you let it. So I may be crazy but its the 44 tooth too much gear and bogging the engine under load? idk
Let me know what you think. IM 5'11" 200lbs btw I live in phoenix and pretty much have only flat areas to ride.

it could be a carb issue to I'm taking the carb apart this morning. its brand new maybe some assembly crud got in there.

As Johnny 5 said in the 1986 movie Short Circuit.....

"Need more input."

specifically on the gear ratio you've set up on this trike.

Trike shouldn't be build to go that fast for safety reasons, from what I've researched.

Therefore, gearing can be set very low.

For the sake of discussion, let's shoot for a 24:1 gear ratio.
If it's too low or too high, you can change a single gear to adjust it higher or lower.

To attain that ratio with just 2 sprockets, you'd need a 10-tooth engine sprocket
and a 240-tooth rear wheel sprocket.

240/10 = 24:1.

A 240t sprocket is too impractical.

If you have a 4:1 transmission, you'd need close to 6:1 gears to reach 24:1.

That'd be a 10t sprocket on the transmission and a 60t rear wheel sprocket.

60/10 = 6:1.

4 x (60/10) = 24:1.

Others with similar build as yours can offer good advice.

Without knowing what your gear ratio is, I'd say it was very high.
Comparing to a motorcycle or car with 4-speed transmission,
it's like starting off from a dead stop in 3rd or 4th gear.

If your engine revs well when the trike is off the ground,
there's probably nothing wrong with the engine.

Hope this helps.

Yeah sorry for the noob questions Yes I found a good gear ration calculator and its all making sense now. 4.4:1 ration now very tall.
so to the next question where can I find a #415 sprocket 60 or even 72 for that matter. I really don't care for speed if it does 20 thats fine by me

the 60 tooth is a vast improvement for any body building a trike. still I feel a 72 tooth would be great as well you really don't want more than 20-25 mph max with the 26" wheels like the meridian.

You buy cheap - You get cheap. How fast do you want to go?(RPM) and how fast do you want to get there? (torque) Think you will be starting out in 4th gear? I bought the B&S 5.5 for torque reasons, 10 tooth engine sprocket and 60 tooth axel sprocket. I'm pushing more weight than you (180LBS 1Trike Harley Fender.JPG + trike)and I can do 35MPH.

Back