Increase compression on 1 piece jug

Yea I was wondering If ya all used that putty blue stuff or a plasti gauge.
I've used the putty blue stuff to check 4 stroke flathead valve lift height. After it squishes ya take it out cut it in half and measure the thickness. This gives ya the clearance from valve to head.
Plasti gauge I've used to check Automotive main bearing specs. It comes in thin plastic strip Ya put it in between the crank and main bearing and torque it down. After it squishes ya take it out and hold it up to a chart and match how wide the plasti gauge spread and the chart tells ya the clearance.
You called it Plastic gauge I assume it's like the putty blue stuff?
Yes. That's the stuff. I used it many many moons ago for pretty much the exact same thing you did, but mine were high lift valves on a drag car.

Squish can be measured with a piece of thin electrical(non flux) solder and some calipers, its just more annoying on a single piece jug since you'd have to pull the whole jug, tape it to the piston, then reassemble to rest squish before removing it again. Just make sure to tape it along the wrist pin and not across it since the piston will rock in the bore some and mess up your results.

With a mill you can just cut the stock head off, mill it square, then use any aftermarket head to make it much more mod friendly.

Back