indiana moped law. help!

eltater
You'll be ok dude, just ride safe.

I've ridden past a few cops here and never been bothered by them.
Learnt my lesson though cos I ran a red light, being smart, it was spur of the moment.
Cost me a cyclist fine, I paid it and now I play by the rules.
When the officer stopped me, he did not question the motoredbike part, infact he liked the idea of it, so I guess he was just doing his act of duty about the red light.
He asked me if the motor was running when I ran the red light, I said it stalled and had a bug in my eye and did not see the light go red !
"good try, here's your ticket", was the reply with a friendly smile.

I think we are all generally OK globaly in this time of fuel crisis.
Ride smart and we are all gonna be OK, I'm sure of it.

BoltsM.

The way I interpret the law...and that's what i do for a living, scooters over 50ccs and the other "motorized bicycle" requirements have the same requirements as motorcycles. If a scooter in under 500 ccs, 2hp and under, auto. trans. 25mph and under- no registration or insurance.

i live in indiana and i ride daily, i have the same law you have down up the page and i carry it with me, adhear to the law and youll be ok, im a certified bike mech. been around them all my life, i use it to tool around the town i live in, i have a moped, 2 wheels, less than 50cc, im over 18, i ride solo, and i follow the laws, stop signs ect. untill they tell me there ill legal, im gonna ride, if they ban my motorbike, theyll have to ban all mopeds and scooters under 50cc. just follow road laws and u should be fine.

The way I interpret the law...and that's what i do for a living, scooters over 50ccs and the other "motorized bicycle" requirements have the same requirements as motorcycles. If a scooter in under 500 ccs, 2hp and under, auto. trans. 25mph and under- no registration or insurance.

50ccs, not 500

Terre Haute -

TERRE HAUTE -

http://tribstar.com/opinion/x1697311084/Better-regs-for-mopeds

The Tribune-Star said:
The moped is a venerable, practical, simple and affordable means of transportation.

The device began as a bicycle with a "helper" motor, such as one mounted on the front wheel to help propel the rider, who also pedaled. It was an early hybrid - the combination of pedal power, complemented by either an internal-combustion engine or a battery-powered motor.

The term moped comes, depending upon which version you prefer, from the combination of "motor" and "pedal" . or from "motorvelociped, Velocipede being an old word for "bicycle. It is variously known as a cyclemotor, Cyclemaster, motorized bicycle, motor-driven cycle, goped and noped (a moped without pedals).

The topic arises because the Terre Haute City Council is considering passage of an updated ordinance to regulate mopeds and to provide more safety and security to riders, drivers and pedestrians.

As introduced by 5th District Councilman Neil Garrison, the revised ordinance would go much farther than its predecessor, adopted when the device was called "Mo Ped.

Garrison polled people in his district and found concern about the increasing presence and effects of mopeds in those neighborhoods and became determined to do something about it. The resulting ordinance - discussed at Thursday's informal "sunshine" meeting and likely to come to a vote on June 9 - matches the virtues of the moped: The ordinance is simple, practical and easy to follow.

It provides that all city residents must have their mopeds registered, annually, with the city police. The modest charge for the initial year is $25, $10 per each year thereafter. After the moped passes the registration process and the fee is paid, police will affix a decal to the machine. It's the same principle as adding a renewal sticker to a car or truck's license plate.

The ordinance also would establish safety and use regulations for mopeds where none previously have existed in the city ordinance:

n No one under 15 as an operator.

n No riding mopeds on sidewalks.

n Observance of all traffic laws and ordinances.

n Compliance with all traffic signs and lights.

n Number of riders limited to manufacturer's design.

n Efficient braking system.

n At least minimal lighting.

n And 25-mile-per-hour speed limit.

Those requirements seem prudent and necessary. They can serve to protect the rider, to aid the auto driver's effort to see a moped rider and to control whatever nuisance now pertains from irresponsible use of mopeds. The registration provision would also help police recover stolen mopeds.

For those reasons, Garrison's idea is perfectly reasonable and deserves approval from the council.

What an ordinance cannot do is to persuade moped riders to do all they can to make themselves seen to motor vehicle traffic - and to stay out of harm's way. A lightweight moped cannot win against a two-ton car.

Moped riders would do well to wear helmets and bright clothing and to supplement lights to draw more attention to themselves. As a Wikipedia entry notes, "A car approaching a moped from behind will approach it more quickly than the [auto] driver expects, and the driver's attention may be more attuned to other automobile traffic rather than the moped, increasing the likelihood of an accident. This is a particular problem for mopeds used on high-speed roads where they may not be intended to travel.

Very sadly, that is what happened near Monticello in September 2008 when a dump truck driver on heavily traveled U.S. 24 tried to slow for a moped driver who was trying to turn left from the trucker's lane to a residence.

To avoid hitting the moped driver, the trucker swerved, but clipped a school bus carrying special needs children. The bus fell onto its side, slid into the other lane and was hit in the roof by an oncoming dump truck. All four children aboard the bus died. Only the bus driver survived.

That proves how dangerous the mixture of slow-moving, slow-accelerating mopeds can be in fast-paced traffic.

The combination of a new Terre Haute ordinance and moped riders' good sense can create a safer situation for all drivers, riders and walkers.

The accident (in bold print) does not seem to be the fault of the moped rider..... but look at how it brought us into the public (and government's) eye.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back