Indiana Requires all Motorbikes to be Registered!

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by Timbone, Jan 2, 2015.

  1. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member

    Anyone dealt with the new Indiana law? I am not an Indiana resident but I ride my motorbike often in Indiana. I am particularly interested in how a non-resident could get a tag in Indiana.


  2. bluegoatwoods

    bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

    It's an interesting question and I'm afraid that I don't know the answer.

    But I'd advise carrying definite proof of your residency in Kentucky. Maybe Indiana law enforcement will honor the licensing laws of other states in the same way that they do for cars.
  3. darwin

    darwin Well-Known Member

    I've lived in a lot of states and the golden rule is you need to be a resident of said state. There's ifs, ands or buts for students and military folks but generally you need to prove residency.
  4. troyg

    troyg Member

    Beautiful country, don't know if I'd ride that bridge (can you?) between Indiana and Kentucky.Did you need dual MAB citizenship?
  5. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member


    This area (Louisville, KY) is a pretty good area for cycling in general. Roads are generally favorable and there are plenty ofrolling hills, even on the Indiana side of the Ohio River. In fact, the hardest hill to climb around here is in Southern Indiana.

    About the bridge over the Ohio River situation:

    Until May, the only legal way to cross the river was to use what we call the Second Street Bridge (it is actually the Clark Memorial Bridge). In May, a new Ped/cycling bridge was opened just east of the I-65 Bridge (John F Kennedy) bridge and I have crossed this thing umpteen times both on my motorbike and my bicycle. Pedaling is OK but motorized scooters must utilize the 2nd Street Bridge.

    That thing is a death trap. 4 narrow lanes heading North-South with no separation from travel directions. The speed limit is 35 mph, but speeds generally run much higher.The sidewalk is crappy, to say the least. Despite this, over the years I have crossed this bridge hundreds of times on a bicycle. There are 3 expansion joints that can eat up a 23mm tire.

    Last weekend, I did a short ride in Indiana on the motorbike and it wasn't long before I was passed - but not stopped! - by a policeman driving a patrol car. I won't be able to tell until the weather breaks just how much impact this law will have on the scooter riders. I have only seen one scooter with the new plate, but it has been a long. cold Winter.

  6. birdmannn101

    birdmannn101 Member

    The law applies only to Indiana residents.
  7. troyg

    troyg Member

    Super cool, thanks.
  8. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member

    I have this idea that, sometime this Summer, I will ride my motorbike up to Fairmount, IN as that is the hometown of James Dean. I imagine about 140 miles one way. Can you imagine how many law enforcement jurisdictions I would pass through as a non-resident?
  9. birdmannn101

    birdmannn101 Member

    Well, I would make sure that you have your Kentucky tag on your bike before you do that because us Hoosiers in Indiana have to have a tag on the bike too. If you don't, you'll probably get stopped here by the new cops.
  10. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member

    That's the problem: I can't register my motorbike in KY as it is not a motorcycle and I have no VIN. etc. The bike is street legal (or street legal enough in KY). I have a valid KY driver's license. I'd gladly register the motorbike in IN if I could.
  11. birdmannn101

    birdmannn101 Member

    If you can register your motorbike in IN as a non-resident the requirement that takes it out of being a motorcycle and puts it in to the MDC (motor driven cycle) catagory is that it has to have a brake horsepower of 5 HP or less.

    Then they look at what size engine you have. If it is 50cc or higher you need a valid MC license or valid Operators license with a MDC-A endorsement (just a written test). Proof of insurance. Proof of ownership. Since you don't have a VIN number you will have to apply for a number which will be engraved on a metal plate or the frame of the bike which THEY have to do, not you.

    Of course if you claim it is under 50cc you don't need insurance, or a valid license, just a Indiana ID card with a MDC-B endorsement. You STILL have to verify ownership so once you bring the paperwork showing that you bought a certain bicycle and a certain engine (under 50cc), you still have to get number engraved on the bicycle by them.

    Back when I was restoring motorcycles they told me if it had no VIN number, the VIN number was filed off or the VIN plate was missing that I would have to make an appointment with them and bring the bike to their location to engrave the number. I don't know if this is the same thing the do for scooters or bicycles.
    Timbone likes this.