[INFO] Choosing Wheels

Plenty of 3/8 axles

I have these front is converted to cromoly 3/8 axle and still loose ball. Rear is converted to 1/2" axle and sealed bearings.

Only a very few companies make bicycle parts in the USA anymore. Most are made overseas, predominantly China. Many Americans still don't know how big 9 or 10 mm is but knows how big 3/8" is. How big 13 mm is but knows how big a 1/2" is. Etc. Therefore it gets advertised in a standard measurement so Americans understand it. The thread pattern and nut size is usually the give away as to what you actually have.

Only a very few companies make bicycle parts in the USA anymore. Most are made overseas, predominantly China. Many Americans still don't know how big 9 or 10 mm is but knows how big 3/8" is. How big 13 mm is but knows how big a 1/2" is. Etc. Therefore it gets advertised in a standard measurement so Americans understand it. The thread pattern and nut size is usually the give away as to what you actually have.
I know how to measure. Doesn't matter where the parts are made. If it measures 3/8-26 than it's 3/8-26. Did you forget bmx is world wide? Entry level still come with 3/8. Race bmx still come with 3/8. Coaster hubs on every box store bike still come with 3/8-24. Just because there have been changes doesn't mean stuff isn't common.

I don't see axles being advertised as something different than they actually are. If that was the case you would never see 9mm advertised.

How do you feel about quick release axles on motorized bikes? Several other's on this forum have had the skewer snap or the wheel falling off. I've read about them being weaker because of the hollow axle, but the skewer fills up that space once in so I don't know why it would be.
I would walk before trusting another skewer. Have had a skewer snap on the front wheel. It was on a trek hybrid so not junk parts.

How do you feel about quick release axles on motorized bikes? Several other's on this forum have had the skewer snap or the wheel falling off. I've read about them being weaker because of the hollow axle, but the skewer fills up that space once in so I don't know why it would be.
I have had my front quick release come off my fork on my mtn bike , the lip of street meets gutter , wheel caught it right and I thought the forks had snapped , it is a quick trip to your face , luckily my forehead broke my fall, that was a bike without a motor , but maybe the motor would counter how quickly you are over the bars and on your face.

My recommendations on a rear wheel.

This will be the last wheel you ever buy.

My recommendations on a rear wheel.

This will be the last wheel you ever buy.
Wow!!! Doesn't the Gemini axle design look familiar???

Thread 'Broken Rear Axle' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/broken-rear-axle.45015/

Wow!!! Doesn't the Gemini axle design look familiar???

Thread 'Broken Rear Axle' https://motoredbikes.com/threads/broken-rear-axle.45015/
I'm not very familiar with that Stanton hub but the gemini hub is just a grade 12.9 12mm shouldered bolt. Not an easy bolt to break and easily changeable and easy to find.
Sealed bearings are press fitted in the hub.
It's very comparable to a ghettobike hub only without the hassle and endless waiting and having to deal with ghettobike.

I'm not very familiar with that Stanton hub but the gemini hub is just a grade 12.9 12mm shouldered bolt. Not an easy bolt to break and easily changeable and easy to find.
Sealed bearings are press fitted in the hub.
It's very comparable to a ghettobike hub only without the hassle and endless waiting and having to deal with ghettobike.
I'm mainly referring to the retaining sleeves on the axle. The Staton hub used retaining clips to hold the axle in place. Along one of those clip grooves is where the axle broke. My design eliminated the clip grove and used a retaining sleeve instead of a clip.

I still have the wheel today with the improved axle design.

Tons of bad info.

Left out the best sprocket adapter which is often called a top hat. Bolts directly to the disc flange.

Thicker spokes are not necessarily better. Fist issue is spoke quality. Take a DT Swiss 14g spoke and compare it to a no name 12g. The DT Swiss will be stronger. Probably stronger than the available 11g spokes. Also many bicycle hoops cant take a fully tensioned 12g or larger. Check endless sphere.

Thru bolt axles are strongest. Most people would be fine with 3/8 and if they are bending axles should look at cromoly often called Cro-Mo or Cro-Moly.

Where did the 1.5" wide rims size come from?

Freewheel/ freehub is the only option for disc brakes!

Freewheel has absolutely nothing to do with rim brake compatibility! The hoops dictate that. My downhill mtx39 are disc only and laced to a freewheel hub. Plenty of hoops are disc only now.

The Grubee wheel is so completely over complicated it laughable.
thank u for calling out bad info. now this top hat, enlighten me. i would love to mount a 6 hole sprocket onto the brake mount, but, just dont see it living thru that. even at stock power. Deore hub, but, damn, deore hub, nuff said

Back