inner tube question

J

Jenny

After having my rear wheel rebuilt (bearings finally went after a few thousand miles of ME on it.) Anyway, I asked them to replace the inner tube with one like my old wheel had. VERY thick, heavy duty tube. The thing has outlasted two tires and the bearings.
Well they didn't. First real ride and the tube blew. Split on the INSIDE of it. And no, nothing wrong with the wheel at all. It just gave out.

So… looked at my old tube, copied the name and numbers, ordered a nice sweet two for one deal off ebay, but when they came, these are just as thin as the one that blew. Now ONE of the numbers I copied isn't an exact match. (See photos.) But I just assumed that had to do with the tube size, width I mean. I can't find anything that says thickness. Same brand, almost the same numbers, but clearly not as thick. See the photo of the two tubes sandwiched between my fingers. The new ones can be folded over and still aren't as thick as my old one.

So question…. what exactly is that second number? And is it possible I cannot find these tubes that thick anymore? (That one would be hard to believe.)
Last…. can someone point me to inner tubes that ARE as thick as mine?
Meanwhile I'll probably just use mine again. But I would like to have a replacement available. This thing can't last forever.

well swell, I can't find where to upload images off my computer.
wonderbar!
So I have a sunlite 26x1.95-2.35
What I got is sunlite 26x190-235 You could fold this in half and it's still not as thick as mine.

Jenny:
I too agree - all inner tubes are not the same. Some are too thin, some are inconsistent in thickness and tend to bulge in spots, and most don't have metal, threaded valve stems. - - I have had some good luck with "Michelin" brand.

Get the flat resistant tubes that cost about $10 at WallyWorld. The slime tubes are good, too.

You know, when you have repetitive tube failures that problem could be on the inside of the rim or the tire. Be careful when you put the tubes in - maybe you are being too tough and forceful.

Back