Input needed... 30mph cruise and 40-45mph top speed ebike

Realize that 72x24 is like 1.8kw and 1 gallon of gas has 33.8kw of energy. So yeah. I don't get how you guys say its 5000+watts. That's the equivalent of an aorconditoner or welder or bogged table saw.My DC welder works great off 1800w r u saying your motor draws 3x my welder?? At 72v, that's 70amps of current which will FRY ANY MOTOR. Even at like 140v which is overvolting, it's still a lot of juice, 35a. Am I missing something, there literally now way these ratings are accurate.

that is for my budget batteries that are about cost 50% less than the ones that draw big power. all i am saying is that if i am going the build i am not going to tax the batteries because i dont need the speed but like to have it available. others with better batteries can produce more power. i am not sure if you seen the videos. the electric power acceleration and speed on good bikes is insane for motorbikes.

Totaly accurate their are motors that can draw 100 amp at 102v so 10.2k in watts witch is not that high atm where there are people using 30k in bike's right now,that is with hub motor then their are folks using delta/wye setups that draw huge current and produce serious hp.
Really?? I'd imagine how much they weigh. The induction versions of 10k weigh like 100lbs.

The weight can get up there all said and done but not to bad,This one in the video has 28,000 watts and look at the cabeling used on it LOL

You guys sure do know your electric stuff, I don't know 5% of what you guys know. That bike is impressive, seems overkill for a bicycle. Wonder what range that bike has say at 20mph?

You guys sure do know your electric stuff, I don't know 5% of what you guys know. That bike is impressive, seems overkill for a bicycle. Wonder what range that bike has say at 20mph?
There's only 3 things you need to know in pixie land. 1hp=750w 5V=2a X2.5 ohms and 1.2kW=120v x 10a (1000a is as wide as the missipi and 1000v is as tall as the Hoover dam) (Wire in parrell, increase A; wire in series increase V; wire in both and you get half or fraction increase in both)Electrifitys water.

Last edited:
You should always size your controller to be @ least 150% amperage rating of the max amperage you'll pull through your motor. Also the cables supplying the ESC from the battery pack(s) should be heavy gauge, fine multi strand and silicon sheathed. Use decent gold plated connectors like Deans, Anderson PowerPoles, Astroflite or better. If you're running a brushless motor you can use slightly smaller wires because of the switching times, which are generally in the 1000 to 4000 Hertz frequency ranges.

Also the guy with the 28K watt bike is an asshat. I would never find a quiet suburban street to practice my launches up to 45 mph with wheelies. Residential speeds are always 25 mph and you just did a high speed run through a neighborhood with families and pets. And probably got noticed by a few folks who now are thinking E-bike owners are crazy idiots. What if you hit someone's dog or kid?

You want to bring the attention of the baleful eye of state or gov regulation, keep doing stuff like this.

It's imbecilic.

Last edited:
Yes, I am still thinking on this. I am just wondering if I can pull of the small 25cc - 200/300W generator correctly. If the generator is on there, I will most likely run it constantly instead of if I am low on battery. I can try it out on my current bike I guess. If not, there is always this Lifan 40cc 600W generator, but I don't know what the dimensions are and I hate to have a huge box on the rear rack. The other idea is the original hybrid design - 49cc HS-142F reverse gearbox into SBP freewheel and a 750W geared hub motor. This also will contribute to this hobby as I will fully document the reverse rotation gearbox build (adv&dis) for people interested. But, I still like the idea of the 3000W (single system) motor but can I get that generator build correct... As, you can see from below. The cost of the retail generator is literally almost the same (after parts) than me trying to build a 300W generator... LOL

Bike = https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-26-Mon...=item4b07d36db1:g:L6YAAOSw3ydVvQBD:rk:15:pf:0
300W 24V Generator = https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-24V-300W-2750RPM-Permanent-Magnet-Electric-Motor-Generator-for-Wind-Turbine/382585179706?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=4d91457778974424a31a0d59f8839318&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=2&mehot=lo&sd=273216073106&itm=382585179706&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
25cc Motor = https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-...759451?hash=item5b2fba411b:g:PakAAOSwImRYQZAU

Retail Generator = https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifan-En...att-Surge-Power-600-Watt-Continuous/100034043 (literally cannot find dimensions specs anywhere on internet, weighs 22lbs which isnt bad on a sturdy rear rack)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Okay, so I am also posting on endless-sphere and they don't think I should use a fat tire bike due to rolling resistance, which is probably right. And, looking into it more, the retail generator (AC/DC) is too inefficient due to the multiple conversion. I will make my own generator from a 25cc weed wacker and 350W 24V generator. So, the proposed build is going to be the 3000W SBP Cyclone motor kit, 27.5" bike, no new batteries initially (72V 16aH), 25cc into 350-1000W generator. But, first I will make and test a 350W-25cc generator on my 500W ebike. This generator should only need.

25cc engine
350W 24V generator
500W step-up converter (24V to 42V for 36V bike)
Mounting materials of course

I will research it more and make a separate thread detailing the generator build.

There's a guy around here that uses a cargo etrike with a bed that he'll haul scrap with,when riding around looking for stuff he has his little honda generator running his charger continuously and has been for years now.I wouldn't have thought that would work but apperently it does.
Propably 40-50 miles on straight power 65 or so with peddal asst.

This is a link to a similar build of a 30 mph cruise, 40 mph top end bike. A good read about another way to make a light bike at about the correct power level for use in Wisconsin with the laws as I believe they now exist. Anything stronger would require a moped license which could not be obtained without insurance. Getting insurance on a DIY bike with no vin would be the bigger problem. This build does not take advantage of existing components. The conclusions of component capacity needed for a 40 mph bike in the video appears relevant to this thread. I could have been already posted on the forum, but I do not remember seeing it.

https://electrek.co/2018/10/19/diy-fast-electric-bike/

Back