Inside my engines

T

try1897

When my Kings motor broke its motor mount due to the chain breaking the damage got worse when I broke off an easyuout trying to remove the busted stud. Then I saw an add on Dac's for returned damaged engines for cheap. I thought cool I'll take the bottom case from one engine and repair mine....... NOT the thing don't fit .... but I'm getting ahead of myself. All this has afforded me the operatunity to take both the 70cc Dac's and the "80cc" Kings motors totally apart. The first thing you notice is that the Dac's is a much better quality casting job. Everything's smoother and finished better. The Kings is is like it missed its final buffing or something. Then I noticed the main 4 studs that hold the head and jug to the bottom end are much bigger on the Dac's at least twice the size. The piston and rings seem to be the same . But all the bolts are different. Dac's again much better quality (at least to me) Taking appart the King's tends to jimmy up the bolts where as Dac's seem to be designed to come appart and go back together. Hey I don't work for Dac's it's just I call it the way I see's it....Now the coil and electrics are the same in fact they are interchangeable. Same with the clutch parts , but and this is a big no BIG butt. I'm 250 lbs and have been riding the Kings many a mile. The Kings clutch pads look to be in better shape than either of the Dac's engines and they where returns ( as in 30 day returns) so had little or no use (??????) So I'd have to say Kings clutch seems to out perform the Dac's . Let's see the Kings came with a intake manifold made of cast aluminum thats not smooth at all and poorly machined where as the Dac's is chrome steal and smooth on the inside where it counts for much better flow. ... Tomorrow I'll take appart the cranks and check the bottom ends for wear and see what they look like. See if the bearings are the same etc. ......... This is fun..... Anyone need spare parts???????? Tom in WV

I noticed the kings (the one I have) is a pretty bad casting as well. The clutch has survived thousands of clutch starts and I barely need to clean it now after a few months becuase some grease got into the pads.

hey, try', that's a really great post...there looks to be some good reading ahead for us 8)

.....I forgot to say when I pulled the head bolts the Kings motor has the four studs with a washer and lock washer on each stud caped with a double width nut. The Dac's motor has,and they were both like this , a stack of 5 flat washers caped by an acorn nut on each stud. Thats a bunch of washers. maybe there was a miss calculation in the length of the studs????? Whats the torque specks for the head bolts anyone? In inch pounds ?? I'll need to know soon when these go back together. Don't get me wrong I ain't trying to sell anyone on either engine. I ride or have ridden many a mile on the Kings and love it . I can clean up the castings and paint the jug black and it'll look just fine. . So far the heads and jugs are different.... Tom in WV

I did the same thing with a Kings motor recently but didn't see much of a difference other than size of head bolts. I will say that splitting the Kings case was a #$%^&*()*&^%$% in the $%^&

Tom- 25 ft./lbs. I don't know what that translates to in in./oz.

I'd suggest using one washer and a regular nut instead of the acorn nut.

Hey thanks for the info. I'll do that with the one washer and nut. I thought it strange that the Kings engine had a lock washer to be honest I didn't think it needed one. But five washers just to use the acorn nut ??????? I don't know but that seems wrong somehow. Dac's engine # one was totaled . One whole side of the piston skirt was missing and had smashed up the wrist pin bushing and locked up the crank with parts and pieces going south . It cracked one side of the case on the bottom. It broke both piston rings but to my surprise the jug itself looks to have survived. It looks smooth and has a nice shine to it. Un beleiveable .Engine # two looked good and was froze up so I used a wooden drift and knocked the jug off and discovered the piston in OK shape . The jug suffered badly though and is useless. This one the whole bottom end is OK and If I use the jug and piston from # one it could actually run. I've been thinking about going heavy on the oil and giving it a slow go tomorrow to see what happens. I assume that with a different piston and new rings if all holds together and I oil the beans out of it kinda like breakin all could be well.(?????) Nothing beats a try ......We'll see later Tom in WV

Back