Inside the H crankcase side cover

Traveler

Local time
6:58 AM
I am working on a Whizzer H engine. I made a new gasket for the crankcase side cover, but after tightening the screws on the side cover, I notice the engine was harder to turn over by hand. I still have the head off the engine, and the flywheel on.

Attached are some photos of the inside of the cover. I believe I have the crankshaft space and cam spacer in right, but need to know If I am doing something wrong that makes the engine harder to turn over.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• H_Side_Plate_2.jpg
    H_Side_Plate_2.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 552
  • H_Side_Plate_1.jpg
    H_Side_Plate_1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 525
  • H_Cam.jpg
    H_Cam.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 650
Howdy Install cover with one spacer at a time (no gasket) and use a feeler gauge between cover and case to check for proper spacer clearance.Hope this helps...Bill PS You might need to lap one or both spacers . I use 220 grit paper on a stone , but concrete or glass works...

Last edited:
Hi Traveler,

I have all the correct spacers in stock for the "H" & J" motors.
#2034A .078"
#2034B .087"
#2034C .096"
#2034D .105"
#2034E .114"

I also have the correct spacers for the later "300" and up motors

#2088C .096"
#2088D .105"
#2088E .114"
#2088F .123"
#2088G .132"

There is a special guage to determine the correct washer size, but very few own one.
The easiest way to do it correctly is to install the side cover without the gasket. If the crankshaft is in a bind without the gasket, but not with the gasket you are where you need to be. If the crankshaft is loose with or without the gasket the spacer is too thin, if it binds with the gasket installed it is too thick. BTW the correct crankshaft end play tolerance is .012" ~ .015". If you don't do this correct and reduce the clearance below .012" the oil can not get into the side cover bearing. The average sidecover gasket is .020" thick, and when compressed is normally .015". So when the side cover is installed without a gasket it will be approx. .015" closer to the crankshaft. If the crankshaft is in a bind without the gasket and then a gasket is installed the difference is slightly under .015", get the picture?
Be very careful when grinding the current spacer because the supply of spacers is limited, and it is next to impossible to grind them completely even.

I noticed you were looking for a flywheel bolt, I have NOS bolts in stock [$8.00], and do you also need the special flywheel washer [#9180]?

I have points & condensers also if needed.

Have fun,
Quenton

Last edited:
whizzer tool

Sounds like everyone has you covered on setting bearing preload & depth. I just thought I would post a pic of the tool that is actually used to get measurement for shims. Keep on Whizzin, Dan

Attachments

• whizzertool47a.jpg
    whizzertool47a.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 530
Back