Inspiration

Hi all, I keep seeing what looks like the same kind of bike, over and over. I decided to submit some of the bikes that I have built to show what can be done. This bike I bought at a bike shop, from that back room, just a frame and fork, then I went back and found the orig rear fender, later I encountered a correct front fender. This is about a 1946-1950 Cleveland Welding Company 24" probably a Roadmaster, due to the hole pattern on the steer tube.

Fancy paint you ask? I bought those rattle cans at wally world, and set about to finish this bike for my wife.
Here is "Diane's Bike" probably about my 15th bike.

Mike

Attachments

• Dianes bike.jpg
    Dianes bike.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 686
absolutly beautiful i agree
I keep seeing what looks like the same kind of bike
but it also seems that everyone has a different modification to make theirs unique. mabe not when they first get it but they all change with time

Good looking bike Mike. Have to agree with you that you see alot of the same looking bikes but everyone seems to add that little extra touch that makes us go....Can we see a close up of that....must be why my first stop on here is always the gallery I love seeing pictures of everyones bikes in any state that they are in...finished, unfinished a pile of parts and a dream. love em all.
Terry

My word I like that bike of yours Mike. Stunning classic lines that are hard to beat. Nicely detailed too :D

Closeup?

Hi guys, thanks for the compliments.

What I guess does not show well, is that I made a working brakelight, off of the front brake lever (microswitch type), using a battery powered 3 led flashing taillight, with the micro-chip cut out of circut, and triggered by the switch only.
Std bicycle Horn, Typical Battery powered 2 bulb headlamp, actually a BMX sprocket, it's a 44th Early Spitfire 48, and yes the old 48's ran just as well, and in many cases better than the beloved 80's (69cc).

It's been a great little bike, tho the rattle can paint does not like living outdoors in the sunlight, it oxidises rather quickly.

Mike

Hi all, I keep seeing what looks like the same kind of bike, over and over.

That may be the case, but most of us on here don't have cutting gear, welding machines or even garages to paint stuff in for that matter! The great thing about these kits is that if you have a small amount of technical proficience you can put together a sweet machine that gets the wind in your scalp/hair and gets you to work, saves gas, no insurance, all that good stuff.

I know we all get excited when we see a bike that has been painted or has some cool extras added to it but for most of us just slapping an engine on a frame is cool enough to look at.

and yes the antique roadmaster bike looks extra sweet.

Tools used in building Diane's bike

Hi Sideshow, well I decided to post some of my "screwed together" Motor bicycles, and my wife's lil bike is one of them.

This one was painted in my yard, there was no drilling, tho I did not have the cool 9-hole sprocket (which I later helped design), and that 5-hole 1.4" rear sprocket would prove to be a sticking point for many of the early builders.

All work done by hand, rattle cans, masking tape, newspaper (for masking). I did clean and grease all bearings, installed other pedals, and I had to get a piece of 5/8 cold-rolled rod (seatpost).

At the time, I paid a local Vinyl shop to make the tank stickers I suspect all of you could build a bike like this.

Mike

Back