Installing generator to a predator motor to power lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cozmik Mezzenger

Local time
5:44 AM
I watched this video, but I had no sense of how to apply this to a 79cc Predator because it lacked details in the comments section. Has anyone attempted this mod?

No I have not attempted it but it's really straight forward, all the info is in the video. Those pickups, flywheel and impeller are all found on various minibike/doodlebug websites. Just use the parts like you would on any 79cc engine and they will make the power you'll need for the lights when hooked up.

If you are still confused then specificy what is hard to understand and I'll try to clarify for you. It's really a bunch of parts that a generator motor would not need, they are parts designed to create a small amount of electricity to power lights or charge a battery. A really generator would use the output shaft of the engine to drive the electric generator, the way shown in the video is how you get spare electricity from the engine without using its drive shaft as the source of the power.

http://www.gopowersports.com/charging-coil-assembly-mini-mid/ an example of the coil system you'd need.

The flywheel and other components will need to be matched up to your engine. I have no idea if a 150cc flywheel will work on a 79cc engine so that would be research you'll have to do to ensure proper fitting.

No I have not attempted it but it's really straight forward, all the info is in the video. Those pickups, flywheel and impeller are all found on various minibike/doodlebug websites. Just use the parts like you would on any 79cc engine and they will make the power you'll need for the lights when hooked up.

If you are still confused then specificy what is hard to understand and I'll try to clarify for you. It's really a bunch of parts that a generator motor would not need, they are parts designed to create a small amount of electricity to power lights or charge a battery. A really generator would use the output shaft of the engine to drive the electric generator, the way shown in the video is how you get spare electricity from the engine without using its drive shaft as the source of the power.

http://www.gopowersports.com/charging-coil-assembly-mini-mid/ an example of the coil system you'd need.

The flywheel and other components will need to be matched up to your engine. I have no idea if a 150cc flywheel will work on a 79cc engine so that would be research you'll have to do to ensure proper fitting.

Thanks. It is straight forward. The part that I didn't quite grok was how to translate the information into 79cc. I was hoping someone else had already done the research.;) I am good at researching. I will soon have the information to share with the Forum.

I contacted Go Power Sports. Gary says, "HELLO, IT WILL NOT WORK ON THAT ENGINE, THERE IS NOT A CHARGING SYSTEM FOR THAT ENGINE. THANKS!" My ears are still ringing.

But I won't take "no" for an answer. Onward and upward!

I contacted Go Power Sports. Gary says, "HELLO, IT WILL NOT WORK ON THAT ENGINE, THERE IS NOT A CHARGING SYSTEM FOR THAT ENGINE. THANKS!" My ears are still ringing.

But I won't take "no" for an answer. Onward and upward!
What he meant to say is that we don't sell a charging system for THAT engine. However as you saw in the video very clearly there IS a charging system "for" that engine.

The video creator said he took parts from a baja warrior, which is a 200cc engine. Which means that 150/200cc electric components are probably compatible (due to the video saying it works, unless it's a pointless trick, but I doubt it) with the 79cc predator.

Now of course a guy who probably deals in only large cc engines will say it won't work because a: if he says it does and it doesn't it's his fault, and b: he probably has no idea if it works.

That being said, I wouldn't feel apprehensive about buying the same parts meant to fit a 150cc engine to use on the 79cc, it would appear that it's compatible by doing the research on the parts involved. At this point I would ask myself if I really want it, and if so who can I buy from who's reliable, has fair pricing, and accepts returns if (God forbid) it don't work..

What he meant to say is that we don't sell a charging system for THAT engine. However as you saw in the video very clearly there IS a charging system "for" that engine.

The video creator said he took parts from a baja warrior, which is a 200cc engine. Which means that 150/200cc electric components are probably compatible (due to the video saying it works, unless it's a pointless trick, but I doubt it) with the 79cc predator.

Now of course a guy who probably deals in only large cc engines will say it won't work because a: if he says it does and it doesn't it's his fault, and b: he probably has no idea if it works.

That being said, I wouldn't feel apprehensive about buying the same parts meant to fit a 150cc engine to use on the 79cc, it would appear that it's compatible by doing the research on the parts involved. At this point I would ask myself if I really want it, and if so who can I buy from who's reliable, has fair pricing, and accepts returns if (God forbid) it don't work..

If it works,
and it is cheap and easy,
then that would mean I could, in all likelihood, use a smaller capacity, lighter weight 12-volt battery to power lights, etc.​
Else, it was a valiant effort to stimulate the economy and further the development of the 79cc engine on motorized bikes.

I'll take my time with this. I hope to find a vendor or go-cart guy who is more knowledgeable.

If it works,
and it is cheap and easy,
then that would mean I could, in all likelihood, use a smaller capacity, lighter weight 12-volt battery to power lights, etc.​
Else, it was a valiant effort to stimulate the economy and further the development of the 79cc engine on motorized bikes.

I'll take my time with this. I hope to find a vendor or go-cart guy who is more knowledgeable.
That would be the idea, certainly that youtube user can't be the only person to stumble upon this, if somebody can make a buck selling it to someone for this use then there is certainly a few people out there doing just that, only have to find them.

You could solve u problem, AND have all the benefits of a hybrid 2WD bike AND a starter mechanism, by adding a simple front hub motor w/ regen, & a small ~fast charge (regen is bursty) battery.

You could solve u problem, AND have all the benefits of a hybrid 2WD bike AND a starter mechanism, by adding a simple front hub motor w/ regen, & a small ~fast charge (regen is bursty) battery.

While that is true, it may well be a bit of overkill just to run some lights and keep the battery charged. As stated above, I would like for the thing to be inexpensive and easy to install. A charging coil circuit for a 212cc Predator is around $50. A new flywheel is a bit more. An e-bike setup, on the other hand, could cost a small pile of dough. Besides, adding more complexity invites more potential problems and more maintenance issues.

I like the idea of a hybrid, but not for my current bike.

Yep, its dearer. Depends on perceived benefits.

spoking aside and just guesses at prices and doability of 22v on a 24v bike, but maybe:

$65 for a 350w DD (geared dont do regen) hub w/ regen, $25 for a controller, $20 for a cheap display & throttle & ~$30 for a 22v ~4ah lipo hobby pak. Even a 10ah pouch cell lifepo4 24v pak should be cheap - only 8 cells, or seven LiMn pouches..

maybe find a 2nd hand 24v front hub & wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back