Installing the 26mm carb on NE5

Status
Not open for further replies.
K & N filter

Hi Bill, Do you know the part numbers for the K & N filters for the 22 & 26 MM carburetors.

Have fun,
Quenton

Hi Quenton, The part number for the K & N filter for the 22 mm carb is 62-1390. I have one on my 07 NE5.

See Ya

I took the 26mm carb I bought and took it apart to learn more about how carbs work - the main jet is stamped 88 - smaller than I expected.

I am going to check the jet size on the 22mm carb tomorrow - if it is like RD's then I will want to try going down to 88 to get rid of the similar stumble I am having.

Hey Jim,

Well, if we stop having tornados (We have the warning sirens going off as I type this with confirmed touchdowns about 20 miles east of here) I hope to tear into the carb tomorrow.

I am back! Just returned from the show in Dawson Springs, KY. If the government knew how much fun we all had they would either ban it or tax it.
The original 26 MM carburetor from Whizzer used a 100 main jet, and most of the 22 MM used a 95. Please don't assume all 22 & 26 MM carburetors are the same, because they aren't. I have seen several that will work with a few changes and some so far off they will never work. If the main jet is marked with a number it isn't original, because all the stock Whizzer carburetors come with un-marked main jets. On the original Whizzer 22 MM carburetors the main jet should be changed to either a 86 or 88. On the original 26 MM the main jet should be left stock [100] unless you have modified the motor [my motors usually run between 120 and 130 main jets on the 26 MM carburetor].
Whizzer OuterBanks,
Quenton

Last edited:
Hi Bill, When I used the Weber head my 26MM carburetor was using a 108 with the clip in the center. The special motor I ran at Dawson Springs, KY was pulling fuel through a 112 main jet, but managed a record 8820 [corrected 8535] RPMs on the digitial tachometer. I have been messing around with a NE Whizzer head with great results, and used it on the bike at the KY event. I had to do a lot of combustion chamber work, but it sure did pay off. I had 165 lbs of compression [checked with a hot motor], and was still able to run regular gas [87].
Have fun,
Quenton

Hi all final rewrite on PZ26 carb install and jetting.On NE5 motor with weber head ,1/2 inch long manifold and Iridium plug final jetting ended up at #41 idle jet #105 main jet and needle one up from lowest position.I tryed larger and smaller than the jets I ended up with.and tryed needle in all positions ..On my set up this combo runs the best ..Hope this helps anyone using A pz26 carb (NOTE) pz26 carbs use A bigger jet .not the same as A stock NE22mm carb...HAVE FUN Bill Green

I put the 26mm carb on tonight - I have some photos with some questions.

First, it started right up without issue - not sure of the choke positions on the 26mm carb - there is a black plastic lever that was horizontal. It clicks into two different positions when you push it down. Each position (excuse my lack of the terminology) opens up a brass slide-thingy on the side where the air filter attaches. When the choke position is horizontal this brass-slide thingy is fully closed.

I am not sure how to use the choke on this carb - I got it started with the black choke lever fully depressed - but the Whizzer would never stay running unless I kept on the throttle.

I took it for a ride around the block and down a long straightaway - I hit 40 MPH without a stumble at all. The 22mm was bogging down early on and then puttering after I hit 30 MPH. The 26mm was very smooth.

Now, if I tried to close the choke and go back to horizontal the engine would die.

Also, with it fully open if I let off the throttle....it would die.

What am I doing wrong?

And if I understand correctly, I only see 1 adjustment screw - you can see it in the photo - there is a spring under it - is this idle or fuel/mixture?

Thanks for any help in pointing me in the right direction.

Attachments

• ChokeHorizontal.JPG
    ChokeHorizontal.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 747
  • AdjustmentScrew.JPG
    AdjustmentScrew.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 691
  • BrassSlideThingy.JPG
    BrassSlideThingy.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 668
Last edited:
Hi Moon,
If the black lever is located upward [towards the tank] the choke is on, if the lever is in the middle the choke is partly on, and all the way down the choke is completly off [running position]. The low speed air/fuel screw is located under the bottom front [screw in gently until it bottoms out, turn screw back out 1 turn]. The screw you have circled is the idle adjustment screw, turn in until idle is good [approx 1200 RPMs].
If you didn't buy the carburetor from me, it probally isn't totally correct for the Whizzer motor. A lot of 26 MM carburetors have been sold [from $65.00 to $75.00]and some work OK, and some are real problems. It has to do with the cut in the slide, the pilot jet, the main jet, and the needle jet. I will try to help as much as possible to help you make it work correctly.
One thing you need to change right away is the spacer between the carburetor & the cylinder. The spacer you are using will not stop the cylinder heat from boiling the gas in the carburetor float bowl. You either need to use more spacers & gaskets or order the new aluminum manifold kit from a Whizzer dealer.
Hope this helps.

Have fun,
Quenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back