Installing the 26mm carb on NE5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Quenton - as always, you are a fount of knowledge and this helps tremendously! I went out to the garage and the mixture screw was screwed all the way out. I screwed it all the way in and then backed it out one full turn. The idle screw was not adjusted either - once I got both adjusted it now idles like a dream.

As for the aluminum manifold kit - do you happen to have a photo of what it looks like - and how much it costs approximately? My e-mail address is staticandsilence@cox.net

Thanks,

Matthew

Last edited:
Quenton gave me the part for the aluminim manifold kit - 16229NE-EXT - he said it would actually work better if it were cut in half - so I will do so and smooth it out with the dremel and sandpaper.

So I called Whizzer - I am never sure who I am speaking with - but she is always nice and has a really great sarcastic sense of humor! Always a pleasure to deal with Whizzer - I didn't even get halfway through that part number and she finished it off for me. Oh, the cost was $11.30 cents - you can't beat that!

In the meantime I took two extra black spacers and put them on to give me about 1/2 thickness and insulation so I won't boil the gas in the carb.

While I was ordering, I ordered a rear black fender to replace my chrome - the front will be fenderless and I think the black will look better with the white tires. I also picked up some fuel filter and the spring coil that protects the fuel line.

She said they would all ship out UPS today - normally they go regular mail but the fender necessitated UPS - so I should have them early next week!

By the way - the 26mm carb is working like a charm - I didn't even need to pedal from a stop to get going - no more sluggishness and no hiccuping between 30-40 - nice, smooth, even power all the way up!

I am happy Whizzerer!

Regards,

Matthew

A smooth running Whizzer is a wonderful thing. I just love the strong pull from 1200 rpm's all the way up the where I chicken out. lol I still don't know how fast mine runs. 35 mph is all I'm comfortable with on the roads around here. To much traffic.

Jim

Hi Matthew Inoticed on your 26 carb pictures you have A kink in your breather hose . The auto parts stores sell A over spring that will help . Bill Green

Hi Bill, yes, I do have a kink in that hose - I will check the auto parts stores this week - thanks for the tip!

I also have a nasty kink in the fuel line - I couldn't find a 3/16" fuel filter anywhere - not even the mower/go kart repair shops. So I wound up spending 11 bucks on a 1/4" filter that is too long - and the configuration is such that the length and position of the filter kinks the fuel line. That's why today I ordered new filters and the over spring from Whizzerusa.

Bill, I have no problem step drilling, taper rolling and shortening the mounting studs - my only question is milling it down (Quenton said to basically cut it in half). I have no sort of tools to perform this. So how critical performance wise will this be if I do not shorten it?

Thanks,

Matthew

PS. I opened her up today with the new 26mm carb - I hit 46 MPH on a flat road in no wind!

Hi Matthew,
It can be done with a hacksaw, a flat surface, and sandpaper, but it requires a lot of work. I cut them in half, ending up with two, using my mill I make them completely flat. I then smooth out any rough spots with a peice of granite with sandpaper on top. I then match the mainfold to fit the intake port on one side and the carburetor on the other end. Next I modifiy the original intake gasket [used on the WC-1] to match the port and manifold motor between the adapter and the cylinder. I use the thin version of the NE intake gasket and locate it between the manifold and carberator to make sure I have a double seal [the gasket, and the "O" ring].
Having said all that you could just bolt it on and see what happens. If you elect to just bolt it on, consider the following comments........ I have only seen one manifold that matched the intake port [and I sold it on a motor to a friend of mine at Dawson Springs, Ky a few weeks ago], most manifolds miss the alignment by 1/16". If you turn the manifold around it will match up differently. Turn the manifold so that the alignment is closest and open the manifold to match the rest of the port. The side nearest carburetor will match close to a 22 MM carburetor, but if using a 26 MM the manifold will need to be opened to fit the carburetor.
Hope this information helps.
Have fun,
Quenton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back