Insulation foam fairing for my ebike gas generator hybrid? Good or bad idea...

bakaneko

Local time
7:42 AM
So, I decided to just invest some more into my hybrid versus building a 125cc equivalent emoto. That being said, I like to make the hybrid look less duck tape-ish and create a true cafe racer style to it. Also, need to move some of the electronics from the generator since the pull cord seems to get stuck so much and I will probably need a better battery at some point with good cells for once.

For the fairings, I was thinking of using insulation foam or XPS foam board. I have a gift card for the hardware store. It is a 1/2" 4x8 and I will cut different pieces out to get that cafe racer look and curves. I think this stuff is tough enough to withstand a bike drop and then I will encapsulate the generator engine (with airflow holes) to also reduce noise. I can use my dremel to smooth out the sides and then spray paint parts and put some faux leather to get a better look.

This stuff is waterproof and feels sturdy; I will probably double it up to 1" for the fairings. LOL, is this a good idea?!

Attachments

• IMG_20191109_115013.jpg
    IMG_20191109_115013.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 282
  • FoamIS.5x4x8PRT.jpg
    FoamIS.5x4x8PRT.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 315
  • ee919ff6-624e-4a07-ae3d-9546505b9586.jpg
    ee919ff6-624e-4a07-ae3d-9546505b9586.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 295
I got a 4x8 1/2" sheet of black mendable styrofoam. we will see how this works out. but dont really want to work on something that i wont ride for 3-4 months versus playing video games that will give me satisfaction right now :unsure:

The foam is easy to shape, but it's not tough at all. You need to coat it with fiberglass cloth and resin on both sides, both for strength and to keep moisture out of it. And that's gonna make it heavy.

the foam is not plush but not as hard as the insulation foam panels. ill put it on first and then see if i need to plaster something on it. ty for suggestion

Make your basic shape out of the foam and then cover it with tinfoil. Fiberglass over it, several layers, wet out with resin, put down the mat, wet out the mat. Repeat for each layer. Now pop out the foam, then it can be sanded and finished. You can fiberglass in the mounting hardware underneath, any captive nuts fill with cloth and foil first. Then you can sand off any spillage.

Back