Intake air leak - carburetor - intake - pics

my idle screw does not do anything when i adjust it out or move it in.

My in take filter is out and actually when i close my petcock the fuel still dribbles out at a pretty good rate so i think its not functioning properly.

As i said earlier too, i readjust my float so it doesn't leak all out, and its fine for a while. I then ride the bike and park it and the gas just spills out of the air filter. I'm confused and frustrated with this carb.

Sounds like a def problem with the float/needle valve. Not sure what is messed up on it, but something is making it stick open. Ever find fuel in the float like a leak? Carbs are pretty cheap, I have a spare I know works fine if it helps, or get a new one :)

I think so too Ed. Because the bike ran STRONG a few day ago, and is gutless now. I think my little brother may of tipped the bike over (I built it for him) and isn't saying anything. I only suspect that because of a scratch on the tank.

A fix for the original post it to add an o-ring down the hole with the clamp. As you tighten the clamp, push the carb toward the cylinder and it will seal all those groves. The o-ring must of course fit correctly into the end of the carb, not too small or too large. In the original post picture of the carb, the o-ring should sit on that ledge below the groves.

I have a sinking suspicious that air leaks may be responsable for my somewhat low power output.

Anyone have a good method for finding out where leaks are? I would stick my ear down by it and listen for vaccum but somehow I don't think that will do it haha.

I am just now starting to run my engine a bit further than around the block. After about 3/4 of a mile I am getting severe power loss. I am not sure if this could be air problems but just looking at the little carb makes me think it has to be guilty in some way for all my lifes problems.

Use an engine starting fluid such as aerostart or "start ya *******" preferably with the little hose so you can direct it around any suspicious areas. If RPM changes when sprayed on a certain area then there is a leak there.

I had a lot of air leaks on my bike. Now I have used copper gasket sealent at the manifold to jug flange and the manifold to carbi flange. I have also put an O-ring in the carbi flange and found that the same size can be used for the cap that screws down ontop of the carb where the throttle cable comes in. I actually had a big leak there but now with the cap screwed down tight and the o-ring in there its all good.

Sounds easy enough to track them down that way.

O-ring and copper gasket gunk sounds like a good idea. I was kinda wondering about the lack of gaskets on the carb.

I can rebuild a chevy carb but this **** thing with its dozen parts is more frustrating than the auto ones have ever been ha.

carb flooding

My in take filter is out and actually when i close my petcock the fuel still dribbles out at a pretty good rate so i think its not functioning properly.

As i said earlier too, i readjust my float so it doesn't leak all out, and its fine for a while. I then ride the bike and park it and the gas just spills out of the air filter. I'm confused and frustrated with this carb.

I ran into this same problem and what it turned out to be was that the seat in the carb was not clearing the carb casing. If you look at your seat, the brass needs to stick out past the carb body. I had to remove the gasket from the seat/ fuel inlet and silcone the threads . Hope this works:unsure:

I had the same problem. Mine was the fuel tickler button. If the gas comes out real fast that could be it. Sometimes it leaks othertimes it doesn't. I just quicky tapped on it with my finger and it stopped.

Back