Intake manifold cutting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Propertyco

Local time
1:56 AM
I'll go grab some pvc if I gotta, but I finally put a down tube adapter mount on the front of my engine, there's gonna be clearance issues with the carb and frame. I'm waiting for the mail truck to show up with my new cylinder body and piston.

My question, is there any adverse effects caused by shortening the intake manifold? Would the carb just hit the jug or head?

Don’t let the carb touch the cylinder directly. Shorter intake manifold will give better throttle response and some other things nothing bad though.

I'll go grab some pvc if I gotta, but I finally put a down tube adapter mount on the front of my engine, there's gonna be clearance issues with the carb and frame. I'm waiting for the mail truck to show up with my new cylinder body and piston.

My question, is there any adverse effects caused by shortening the intake manifold? Would the carb just hit the jug or head?
Many people have clearence issue for the carb,on a p/p engine to close is not the ideal setup.7-7.5" from piston face to slide give better botom end responce without hurting upper and then permits you to off set the caarb to your likeing.Reed stups like the carb close to the block though people still use an extended intake saying it helps.

Technically speaking the length of the intake manifold (runner) has a great effect on performance in high performance situations, but motorized bicycle engines probably nothing too significant. Same goes too the length of the exhaust.

I put one of these shorty intakes on my bike to make the air filter fit better and didn't notice any attributable loss of performance.---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/32mm-Air-I...=item2f09a0d374:g:9OAAAOSwg6lZlpn8:rk:75:pf:0
They also have a 40mm intake one---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/40mm-Air-I...366521&hash=item2cc04eaa09:g:QJoAAOSwKytZMNYw
PIC_2649.JPG

PIC_3001.JPG
PIC_3003.JPG

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I had trouble with room for the air filter and went to a long offset intake. it gave a noticeable boost in low to mid rpms. now I changed the exhaust and the expansion chamber is right on the carb, so I got some 19mm ID pvc and I'll cut it about same length as the offset intake (~5") and route it to the other side.
I could've went to a shorty but like the low boost in torque. top end wasn't affected that I can tell from stock

I had trouble with room for the air filter and went to a long offset intake. it gave a noticeable boost in low to mid rpms. now I changed the exhaust and the expansion chamber is right on the carb, so I got some 19mm ID pvc and I'll cut it about same length as the offset intake (~5") and route it to the other side.
I could've went to a shorty but like the low boost in torque. top end wasn't affected that I can tell from stock
I had a guy last night try and tell me that switching from the short intake to the offset intake shifted the power band,I told him how the intake track being longer atomized the fuel better and gave improved throttle responce not a shift in the power band but to stuborn to accept the facts I geuss.LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back