Intake mount broke... now what?

TurtleBoyPW5

Local time
8:19 AM
Well I matched my intake and exhaust yesterday and used liquid gasket so upon tightening up the bolts today I used a wee bit too much muscle and snapped the mounting post off on the right side of the air intake. It is still nice and firmly in place with the other bolt and post intact. (post broke so it is flush with the manifold) How should I go about fixing the other post when I feel it is necessary? Tap and die a new one? JB weld it and forget it?

Thanks!

"flush with the manifold".....assuming u mean the top of the manifold.....try Bills fix.
If unsuccessful try an ezy-out,but if that doesn't work you'll need to drill the stud & tap another thread.....either way it's a pain.
While your there replace the studs with something better...even allen bolts.

PS...Doubtful that it's sealing properly at the mo & if it is doubtful that it'll stay that way,sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is still nice and firmly in place with the other bolt and post intact. (post broke so it is flush with the manifold) How should I go about fixing the other post when I feel it is necessary? Tap and die a new one? JB weld it and forget it?
Fixing it is mandatory....don't use it as is.
JB weld don't fix problems like this.....

Using a screwdriver will end up screwing it up as the studs are way too soft
to hold except on Grubees that have black oil hardened Japanese studs!

Is it a cast aluminum or steel intake?
Take the manifold off and lock a good pair of vice grips on the protruding stud

The studs are butter soft on most kits so take your time as you only have one shot at removing it

Make sure the vice grips have a very tight grip before you go for it.....

you may want to file flats on the stud first so they don't slip and destroy the stud
cause then your only hope is to drill and use an EZ out

Last edited:
Back