Intake Resonator

YetiWoodz

Local time
3:19 AM
As I was watching a video about hemholtz resonators on exhausts, the person in the video also mentioned that these resonators are used in intakes to reduce noise and increase horsepower.
Here's the link. Read it start to end and tell me if its something to look into for a 2 stroke engine.
Intake resonator

No one will believe it can work until we see you ripping around on the resonator bike lol. I say go for it. If you can get everything right (probably be a combination of hard work and luck and try then refab and try try again) it might be really really sweet. Might only work in a narrow band or who knows maybe it will use some sort of factor of multiple waves and work over a wide range of rpms? Who knows? Not me lol and honestly the only way to answer this question for sure with any sort of confidence will be to bite the bullet and try this out. If it works you could quite literally have the most tuned engine of anyone.

Actually, I think you'll be able to put it on, it branches off on the side. You'll need to take off the air filter. Then you got to make or buy if you can find it, an airbox to go on it and make a hole on the side for the resonator.

In this forum, go to 2 stroke, then go to the thread "Hemholtz Exhaust" then go to page 2. There I gave step by step how to figure out all the dimensions of the resonator. Its the same concept whether its on the exhaust or intake. The guide I gave you can use for any engine whether you have a motorized bike or a Bugatti Veyron.
In the post, I used a cylinder as the resonator, but you can use any shape you want because the only thing that matters is the volume.

Last edited:
The only issue I see is I don't know which frequency to plug in to find the dimensions of the intake resonator since the frequency ranges are 26-48hz, 69-102hz, and 220-253hz.

Last edited:
One way I could see might work is to have 3 resonators, one for each range. Since these go on the side, you could have one go right, left, and down. That shouldn't be a problem. But I'll figure out the best way to do this.

:LOL: Guys, I did some some research about intake resonators, apparently they already make hemholtz resonators for 2 stroke intakes, they're called boost bottles😂

Back