Intake type question.

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
10:53 AM
So my build that I have almost complete, doesn't run as expected. I got a Zeda Firestorm 80 out of the box, first run. Thing acts like it is suffocating. Crawls up to 25mph where it won't go any further. If I pull the clutch and rev it, it revs much much higher than the 25 mph rev. With the clutch disengaged the thing sounds like a beast.

36 tooth sprocket

I think my issue is my intake. I got a Z intake on it now. I had it laying around. The outlet of the intake seems like if is almost has half the area the Firestorm jug's area has. I cannot use the stock intake as the carb is too high. I must have the carb offset.

Question 1: Is this most likely my intake system? I feel stupid asking but I want confirmation.

Question 2: How do you offset the carb, like in a reed valve setup, without affecting performance.

highcarb.PNG

This image here. It looks like someone used some radiator/heater hose to combine the Z-intake along with the stock intake. Would something like that be beneficial to compensate for my small area opening on the intake?

Heres what I'm talking about, the CDH Power G2 reed valve is alot nicer than this 1. But this should give you a idea.
31WPWh3e3SS._AC_SY580_.jpg

That's what I was thinking about when I imagined the offset of the reed valve set-ups. I don't know anything about reed valves or windowing or porting. I just want my carb to fit and the bike to run like it should. I shouldn't need to do anything else with this set-up right? Same Bofeng carb and blah blah blah.

I have my finger hovering over the CDH unit on Amazon for $32.00

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You got to window your piston to run reed valve setup. On the cdh reed valve just make sure the intake is the same size as your carb. Just make sure the new 1 is same diameter intake as your current offset intake.

This image here. It looks like someone used some radiator/heater hose to combine the Z-intake along with the stock intake. Would something like that be beneficial to compensate for my small area opening on the intake?

Full disclosure, my engine hasn’t been run yet. Will it work?

I cut the z-pipe and made a coupler to the original intake, but I dislike it, the bends are horrible. It has to be restrictive.
Its on my redo list to be honest if I can find a mandrel-bent z-pipe.

Back