Interesting Frames

Cram Session

That's a bummer, I really wanted to try to cram a grubee 4-stroke on that Military styled cruiser. How close is it to fitting?

The motor is too tall for the frame. Kinda like sticking a square peg in a triangular hole. It might fit if you stripped off the mounting plate and fabricated your own. Honestly though, I'd look for a different frame....one of the stretched models perhaps.

These 4 stroke engines are huge compared to the HTs that I;ve grown accustomed to.:D

The motor is too tall for the frame. Kinda like sticking a square peg in a triangular hole. It might fit if you stripped off the mounting plate and fabricated your own. Honestly though, I'd look for a different frame....one of the stretched models perhaps.

These 4 stroke engines are huge compared to the HTs that I;ve grown accustomed to.:D

Yeah. I wasn't looking into a stretch frame or anything, I was looking into this frame.

http://bikebuyers.com/GL-bc-07-army-photos.htm

So a Grubee 4 stroke won't fit? Bummer.

Maybe I'll dedicate a good bit of time to figuring out how to frame mount those 33 cc Robin engines. Research time.

I know the mounting plate won't work, but I have to figure out the gearing, which is greek to me at this point.

Ya gotta love those Felt bikes.

girl_1.jpg

Think it's tough riding with those heels?

Yeah. I wasn't looking into a stretch frame or anything, I was looking into this frame.

http://bikebuyers.com/GL-bc-07-army-photos.htm

So a Grubee 4 stroke won't fit? Bummer.

I can't ascertain if the guy actually tried to fit the 4-stroke into the Felt MP Sheik but I think it would fit. I've looked at one in the shop and I think that the frame alows for the motor. There are some other problems that I mentioned on a thread specifically about the Felt MP but the attached picture shows a composite image of the Fely shown at almost the same scale as the Schwinn cruiser. The Felt may be a tad larger even than shown cos it's tyres are probably bigger than the Schwinn Typhoon tyre. I would desperately love to know if the motor could fit because you get a lot of bike for the price with the Felt MP - especially 2008 model - and the frame is so much stronger than the Schwinn cruiser. I have had a test ride on the MP and the riding position and the long wheelbase etc is PERFECT for a good Honda motor. I'm not giving up just yet because I've never seen a bike as good as this on the market.

Attachments

• Schwinn&Felt MP composite.jpg
    Schwinn&Felt MP composite.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:
Frames

The Felt is very heavy and well made, from what I read here and elsewhere.

Workman is also, but the frames are not the best for easy install.

What about the those crazy Phat bikes?

there is also some fellow in Antigo, WI who sells old Schwinn frames, like from '50s and 60s.

Yes those crazy Phat bikes are so crazy that they forbid access to the specs pages on their website. Either they have something to hide or they like annoying potential customers. They've lost me forever.

I used a standard cantilever frame for my bike and the problem I encountered was that the standard air box hit on the seat post- no problem, I didn't want that ugly plastic airbox anyway. I compared the position of where the top post hits the seat post on the Felt MP above with that on my bike and it looks very similar (though the frams themselves are quite different). I compared the height of the top post to the rear wheel to use as a constant- I think there may be room. However, as I said, and you can see, there is not a lot of clearance. I think there would be the same air box issues- but if you want a vintage look, you won't want the big plastic air box either. Look at these pics and see what you think.

I wonder, a bit, if the straight front tube will create some problems, but I don't know.

Attachments

• throttle linkage 005.jpg
    throttle linkage 005.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 167
  • bike_4_2.JPG
    bike_4_2.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 208
Frames for Motored Bikes

The pics are a great bike and great set-up, but that is more or less a motorcycle, without the safety features, isn't it!

Don't get me wrong, it is an ingenious ride and I appreciate the creative and clever work.

Still, going 50 on it and having to stop fast is questionable.

I am just squeamish, as I once had to harbrake my cycle; it and me dumped and slid though and intersection to avoid a sign runner. No injury to me and to bike, miraculously.

Sold the bike a week later...but still love a street thumper single.

Back