Intresting info about board tracks.

British motorcycle Historian Stephen Wright produced two very well recieved books that are now out of print.
American Racer, 1900-1940 (1979) and American Racer, 1940-1980 (1986)... I own both and did meet the author at a motorcycle concours up in Visalia, CA in the late '80s. He owned TWO Cyclones at the time I met him. A full on racer and a streetable model. The motors were way ahead of their time, fully ball 'n roller bearing with straight cut bevel geared OHCs opening 4 valves per cylinder.
Thank God he did not worship at the HD alter but offers a truely balaced presentation in both volumes.
JG, locate and buy these books if you can. There is a webpage out there with a petition for a reprint of these books. The text is short and to the point..The pics are to die for...

Another volume worth consideration would be Allan Girdler's (HD Sportster freek) The Harley-Davidson and Indian Wars. I have a signed copy. Hell of a nice guy and just as deaf as I am and for close to the same reasons (open pipes and load work enviroments).

Back