Intro/My Bike/Help

J

jraice

Hey guys, I stumbled accros this forum and wow I am amazed there is a group for something like this which I just recently discovered.

I have ridden an electric bike and its great, being able to accelerate out of corners is awesome.

But I want some more power.

Attached are pictures of a "racing" road bike from way back in the day that I was hoping can be modified to work with one of these kits.

I was looking into King Motor Parts 80cc kit but the ThatsDax kit looks very nice as well.

Obviously I will need new flat handlebars to allow these kits to work, correct? What will that cost and what should I look for when picking a new one out...

Also Ill be replacing the flat tires and worn brakes for max grip and brake power.

Cant wait to get envolved in this group!

Jordan Raice

Attachments

• P1010167.jpg
    P1010167.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 166
  • P1010168.jpg
    P1010168.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 164
  • P1010169.jpg
    P1010169.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 140
welcome

welcome to mbc:Di wont go into details here ,but i use old 10 speed frames,the motors mount great in them.for happy time setups.

?

Happy times setups?

Awesome...

So any tips (I understand these are more generic bike questions, but you guys know your bikes) on brakes, tires (more grip for braking and cornering, obviously they are thin on this bike) and most important regular flat handbars so I can mount a throttle.

And then, motor kit?

Wow this is going to be fun :)

:/

The bike is my dads, he told me he would love to have me fix it up (tires and brakes) and ride it but has said he is not interested in the motor powered aspect now...

He has a harley! I thought he'd like the idea! ;)

So now I need to buy a bike or use the small mountain bike I have (I'd rather not, gears are a piece of work and like I said its a bit to small)...

So I am looking to buy a bike on craigslist.

So, what would be a good route to go?

This was interesting...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/511388206.html

Front brake only but with these tires the back really does nothing but locks up, single gear (not an issue really with the motor, is it?) and I am sure its much lighter...

Also it already has the flat handlebars I need :)

What should I like for and whats a reasonable price?

EDIT:

Cheaper, multi speed,
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/511410585.html

Also mountain bike hybrid....
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/511259372.html

One of my worries is that when riding my dads bike I noticed it takes bumps VERY harshly, could be bad with added speed...

Last edited by a moderator:
look around

all your questions are answered on the site.....it would be about 6 hrs of typing for me to sum up everything for you, and its useless to do,the more you look the more answers youll get.so start lookin:Dthe raleigh mntn is your best bet

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to MBc, please dont put a motor on that sweet roadie,back in it's day (early 80's) Lance would have trained on it with pride, go with your idea and get a bike from a yard sale or somewhere.

Welcome to MBc. Read and also spend time in the picture gallery and see all the different handlebars we use.
Good luck.

Back