introduce yourself

hillofbeans

Local time
2:05 PM
Greetings from Georgetown SC.
My interest in this site started as a boatbuilder doing research. I read a story in one of my forums describing a small hydroplane that did 40 mph with a larger weed whacker engine. Also haven't owned a car in ten years. Bike is my transport. It was a natural progression, and now I'm hooked. Admire Chris Hill's approach to re-engineering quality into his product. Would like to start a similar outfit here in coastal Carolina. I've done lots of homework. Almost ready to dive in.
Any opinions on the name 'Dubscycle'. Yes, I am a dub. Pleased to meet y'all.
Lots of clever dubs here.

Welcome hillofbeans.

I'm afraid I don't know what a "dub" is. So I can't give my opinion on "Dubscycle".
But I'll bet someone here can give an answer.

See you around.

Thanks Mountainman and Bluegoatwoods. Hope to be building more than one.
A Dub is the guy who futzes around in his shop on many projects at once, and appears to be mediocre at all of them. In fact, he is a contemporary of Leonardo and well versed in many disciplines.
He's also the guy who hangs around a boat shop, sometimes helpful, always opinionated, and drinks to much of your beer. There are of course many local variations.
Hence Dubscycle. Perhaps I should rethink it. Naaaaa,,,,close enough.

A Dub is the guy who futzes around in his shop on many projects at once, and appears to be mediocre at all of them. In fact, he is a contemporary of Leonardo and well versed in many disciplines.
He's also the guy who hangs around a boat shop, sometimes helpful, always opinionated, and drinks to much of your beer. There are of course many local variations.
Hence Dubscycle. Perhaps I should rethink it. Naaaaa,,,,close enough.

Welcome to MBc.
thanks for the description of Dub.
(It seems soooo familiar. Have you been peeking in MY garage?:) ! My Leonardo, would be more like.....Rube Goldberg & the boatshop here...is our local bike shop)

But..this is not supposed to be about me.....It's about you.
so, once again....Welcome. (from a fellow Dub)

Sounds like a shop I could like. I've given up beer for life - okay if I bring the jug of JWB with me?

Welcome aboard - you sound like a guy who'll fit right in.

"appears to be mediocre", naah, I can't even claim that, I'm just a hack!

Welcome from another dub.

I am delighted to be surrounded by Dubs in good standing , even a hack or two.
Neglected to mention in my Dub definition that these guys always seemed to be older and mysteriously wiser than anyone else around.
By some of the ages in this thread, many of us will be 32nd degree Dubs in no time flat, with little competition. It's gratifying to be in similar company. Expected a diverse crowd here, with a youthful attitude. I'm not disappointed.
Maybe we're all Dubs on this bus.
I appreciate the friendly encouragement.
Tom Hill

Now I see what a "dub" is. It's something like how I defined a hacker before the digital age; "a guy who doesn't really know what he's doing. But he's gonna do it anyway."

I've always thought of myself as that sort of hacker. Seems I've also been a Dub and didn't know it. We learn something new everyday :)

Back