Iron Horse with Mits. TLE52

Well I figured it is finally about time to show the Maverick off. This was supposed to be my mountain playtime bike but has turned into my daily driver due to a small budget.

Anyways the bike is a Iron Horse Maverick. It has a very basic component package, but the 19.5 in. aluminum diamond frame has an AWESOME feel to it. Before i motored it, the thing only weighed 26 lb. Considering the frames tube thickness and mid-low quality components, I thought that was pretty sweet. I am very happy with the bike itself.
As for the engine I took a slightly used un-stratified engine(older generation of TLE43, before scavenging systems where developed) from the shop and tore its apart. I didn't have to do anything with the bottom end of the engine as it still appeared brand new. I took a TLE52 piston and jug and installed them in the place of the 43's. I mounted it with Dimension Edge's direct drive system. Well with was between the direct drive and the automatic. automatics have centrifugal clutches and I don't need no stinking clutch. This way, with the direct drive, I can start my engine simply by engaging it to the tire with the handle on the stem of the handle bars. I also put a 15mm Walbaro carb with air/gas screw. Only dif. from stock is that it has the adjuster screw.

The biggest thing I noticed from the 52 compared to the 43 was the torque. It will eat a Honda GXH50 for lunch when it comes to climbing hills. With a 1.75 in. roller(largest one DE sells, for highest speed) I can maintain 28-30 mph up a 6% grade with 250 lbs of total weight(Bike rider and bags) without pedaling. only thing i dont really like is that I lost some top end. I dont hit the top speed that the 43cc is capable of. I usually top out at about 33-36 mph on flat pavement with no wind and temps of 65-80 degrees. Sometimes when high pressure systems roll through town i can sustain 38 mph. All this is at near mile high altitudes. The highest speed I have hit on flat ground is 48.7 mph with about a 20-30 mph tailwind. I have topped 60 before but that was going down Billings airport hill, which is almost 2 miles of 6-8% grades into downtown Billings. I wont ever go that fast on that bike at least until I upgrade wheels and brakes. Plus that and downhill speed means diddly squat.

All my speed are based on my Pyramid 13 function speedo, which measures speed based on the outside circumference, in millimeters, of the tire. I literally measured the length the bike traveled in one rotation of the tire. I did this like 3 or 4 times. then just for reference i measured the diameter and multiplied it by Pi and got a number 4-5 mms off the other measurements. So I averaged all the totals I got which was 2143 mm. only reason i remember is cuz its written down for when my ECU resets

I know well over 90% of this forum's patrons believe that friction drive eats up tires and cannot grip in the elements. Soon I will have very detailed studies done on excactly how much wear our system does to tires and rollers. I will do it with each individual material(Urethane, Aspen wood, and aggregate stone). And for the ***** and grins of it, I will also test Staton's nuralled steel roller. which I already know from past attempts from DE to try it as a roller material alternate to Urethane(costs where getting high for that material), is worthless. I cant help but believe that Staton only sells that friction drive system to denote all friction drive systems and to make his chain drive look like the "Bomb Diggaty". I will admit that their gearbox is pretty much invincable, at the price of weight.

Well I dunno, I can at least show ya what damage I've done to my tires. Anyways i have about 800 +/- 100 miles on my tires I'm using now, which I cant prove cuz the ECU for my speedo resets ever 150-200 miles. After this happened the 3rd time I made my above mentioned measurements. So you'll just have to believe me, or not, doesnt bother me either way. Anyways I took pics of both front and rear tires for comparo.

I've already talked to much so here are the pics.

Attachments

• bike.JPG
    bike.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 477
  • engine side.JPG
    engine side.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Engine view diag..JPG
    Engine view diag..JPG
    124 KB · Views: 334
  • mount side.JPG
    mount side.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 294
  • front mounts.JPG
    front mounts.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 303
  • rear tire above.JPG
    rear tire above.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 308
  • rear tire side.JPG
    rear tire side.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 293
  • front tire.JPG
    front tire.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 289
  • front tire side.JPG
    front tire side.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 269
  • IH sideveiw.JPG
    IH sideveiw.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 354
Cool stuff! Whatever anybody says about friction drive if it works well for you thats all that matters. Thanks for sharing, go team Mitsu!

that's a fine looking scrubber; The center of gravity is lower in comparison to some other kits on the market. If I get another kit I may consider a scrub drive.

Wearing out tires on a friction drive is mainly attributed to the rider not knowing how to operate this type sytem. My tire will dry rot before it needs replacing ! GOOD JOB !

Nice Zemus I have a 1.75 on my 49CC Tecumch and it is great until I hit a good head wind.

Back