Is a Hoot clutch the same as a Skyhawk?

dougsr.874

Local time
8:24 AM
I dont mean the bell and clutch assembly, just the cent. clutch only. After 2 years the Skyhawk clutch is showing signs of wear...I have an old clutch from a hoot gearbox that was only used about 2 weeks before the bell broke....Hoot was really a piece of ****....the inside dia. of the hoot clutchs shaft hole is bigger for about one third of the way then gets smaller....but both of these clutchs came off of the SAME engine...Im afraid the try and force it on the shaft and ruin the engine.........Comments please

I would measure the output shaft on both engines or the ID of the clutches. Engines come with different shaft sizes even on the same model. Two HS engine models are common on MBs. They have different shafts. You may be able to take the clutches apart and use just the part with the shoes. I'm not certain what your clutch looks like. There are 2 and 3 shoe versions. The ones for the 5/8 in shaft usually cost quite a bit more than the clutch for the smaller ID shaft.

Tom

I'm thinking one of the clutches you have is for a tapered shaft and one is for a 5/8in shaft. The former is inexpensive. It can be ordered through Horbour Freight. The latter is sold by dealers that carry the 4 stroke kits.

Tom

The hoot clutch was on the engine when I bought the kit....I replaced the hoot gearbox with a skyhawk gearbox....so both clutchs were on the same engine

Are you saying that you changed the clutches when you installed the skyhawk gearbox? If the first clutch came off that engine then it should fit back on. Is there any way you can post some photos? It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. I have no experience with that engine but, have used that type of clutch on several engines in the past.

Thats exactly what I am saying and I agree, however it dose not work...I think that the hoot clutch must be designed not to go on the shaft as far as the skyhawk....However, I solved the problem by doing what I saw here....I just changed the pads which I did not know you could do..

Back