is a ngk b5hs too hot of a plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark20

Local time
10:08 AM
im just wondering this as my local autozone was out of the ngk b6hs, so i had bought the one step hotter plug. and im wondering if its too hot of a plug for break in, i live in the northern part of the us and average temperature is about 45*f, im going to be riding on the 16:1 break in oil ( new engine). so, am i better off running the china plug or the ngk one.

The 16:1 ratio is a little rich. I'd be going with 24:1 initially for the first 300 miles. If the engine is stock a B5HS would be fine.

It seems that a lot of users like the projected electrode BP5HS. From my own experience running low compression moped engines, NGK plugs in the 4 to 5 range seem to be better for not fouling and running with a minimum of fourstroking.

Your mileage may vary and you may need to drop the needle and play with your jetting.

I run B6HS most of the time. about now as it gets under 60, I switch to the B5HS bcs last year I didn;t and saw the plug getting wet n oily. When it's cold I just ride for short hops like 1 mile max and it doesn't really get hot enough to burn off the oil. so a B5hs is good for me running 32:1. I did try a B4H but not for long bcs that's really too hot unless its below freezing I think

With as low a compression ratio that these engine have with the stock head, especially when they are being broken in, a hotter plug isn't going to kill them outright, unless you're running your fuel/air far too lean and (or) with too little oil.

I run a B5HS the motor runs good with it I'd go for it mark my motor is only on the 2nd tank of 16:1 and it has some power.I don't think it's too hot at all. I also had the BP5HS on my 79cc predator and it ran fine. The only problem I have is if I pull the clutch in too far the motor starts running away, weird.

i am running a NGK BR8HS
here is a chart for sparkplug numbers to there heat ranges
HEAT RANGE
COLD ................ HOT

BRISK 8 10 12 14 15 17

NGK 10 9 8 7 6 5

DENSO 31 27 24 22 20 16

BOSCH 2,07 3,08 4 5 6,7 8

CHAMPION 55, 574, 596, 61, 637, 89, 1011, 12

+ NGK 4...
so what heat range us the Chinese Z4C? autozone couldn't reference it

yeah it was fouling I remember when i first started breaking in my 1st . I think that's how I found out about here and NGK plugs bc I didn't know anything about these crappy little engines lol

the z4c Chinese plug is spot on with the b8hs. the b8hs, however, IS about 1/16" LONGER (than the z4c) and touches the piston in my one-piece head/jug. but the insulation "cone" inside which dictates heat dissipation, is sooo close to the ngk b8hs that I feel absolutely safe declaring the Z4C china plug as equivalent to "8" on the NGK scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back