is gas affected after sitting for a few days in a tank?

Local time
12:58 AM
I've got a Honda GX50 friction drive on my motorized bike, and it seems like whenever I let the bike sit for 4-5 days with gas in the tank and then go for a ride, it feels a little funny at lower rpms, like there are deadspots in the powerband or something. It doesn't really affect rideability and is barely noticeable, just wondering if you guys experience this too or I'm the odd one out.

As soon as I fill her up with fresh gas, everything feels good. I know gas has a shelf life but I didn't think there would be noticeable differences after a few days.

If it smells fresh, then it probably is fresh.
I always run premium non-ethanol fuel in my bikes because I have a few and never know which one I'm taking out.

Pump carb has a filter at the end of the supply line with the weight in the fuel tank. Ilike, how many miles on the motor so far?

If you're using ethanol mixed gas here's how the damage rate works. If you ride daily and use most of the tank, it does the least amount of damage and will take longer before carburetor issues develop. The longer it sits in a container (tank), the more water it attracts and the quicker you'll develop carburetor issues. Fuel stabilizers can stretch the time out some but problems are inevitable when using ethanol mixed gas.

If you buy several gallons of 100% gas store it in containers with caps on them. I even go as far as to put Ethanol Sheild in my 5 gallon can. All this will reduce water vapor forming water in your gas.

If you buy several gallons of 100% gas store it in containers with caps on them. I even go as far as to put Ethanol Sheild in my 5 gallon can. All this will reduce water vapor forming water in your gas.
Thats what I do, the gas last many months if not more, I am also sure to NOT mix in my oil or octane boost until I am ready to use that individual 1 gallon jerry jug when my 1 gallon gas tank needs filling.

Honda's run great on reg gas usually. From what OP describes I'm wondering if the gas cap is only partially venting at low suction/low rpm's. I'd try running it with the cap really loose to see if any improvement.

Back