Is head shaving a mod?

Redneck biker

Local time
10:34 AM
I have a 66cc motor that has a warped cylinder head due to my idiotic and uneven tightening. Now unless I tighten the head bolts really tight it will leak oil from the head and loose compression. I was wondering if it would even be worth it for me to sand down the head just enough so I don’t have to over tighten my head bolts and would I gain any power. I also hear this may not be good for my engine. What are your thoughts?

Well if your redneck torque wrench (hand) isn't calibrated well I'd start by buying a regular mechanical one before you need to add helicoils to the shopping list.

Yes you may sand the head and cylinder flat again, if the compression is too high after you can always adjust with a thicker or multiple head gaskets, since redneck is hopefully up your alley you can cut perfectly good gaskets from beer cans and a spent 9mm shell chucked into a drill and passing the edge over a file will make a super sharp perfect hole cutter that works way better on thin sheet aluminum than any drill bit will for the stud holes, cylinder hole I just cut smaller with a scissor and shape out with a dremel sanding drum.

I’m dying thanks for the info. Is there a performance advantage to this?
No, usually dying causes some kind of failure to perform, specially down there.

If on the off chance you meant the engine performance, yes, it will have higher compression and so you'll just have a slightly more powerful bang to drive you forward. Disadvantages are shorter engine life (more heat and stress) and if too much compression you can get detonation which will really wreck the motor quick, starting is slightly harder as you have to put more effort to turn the motor over.

I use 91 octane so ain’t no engine knock for me but reduced lifespan sucks. I’m gonna do it any way because these engines are learning curves so who cares. As long as I have a beer in my hands nothing can go wrong

I use 91 octane so ain’t no engine knock for me but reduced lifespan sucks. I’m gonna do it any way because these engines are learning curves so who cares. As long as I have a beer in my hands nothing can go wrong
What if the can gets empty... Don't you turn into a big green angry guy too?

if its a slant plug head, no amount of shaving will fix it. they are rubbish. the warp has nothing to do with ham fisting or bad torqueing. its just a lousy design with no strength where it needs it...under the plug.

i am more than willing to bet large amounts of money that the leak is directly under the spark plug...

torque ...wrench? WTF is a torque wrench? completely unnecessary.

get a head with the central plug, and use teflon tape as the head gasket rather than aluminium or copper.

the marginally higher CR isnt going to damage your engine.

Back