Is it expensive/difficult to convert a geared bike to 1 spd?

DougC said:
Bikeguy Joe said:
My drop outs are all the angled type, like the ten speed you describe.
-No, they're not.
Single-speed bikes use rear droputs that allow the rear wheel to be shifted fore-and-aft somewhat, to provide a means of setting chain tension. Ten-speed type bikes have dropouts that don't allow the rear wheel to shift fore-and-aft at all.

Actually, if you look at your Sheldon "Have you seen my helmet?" Brown's reference... Please note that, except for the Raleigh 3 speed and the Track End, those are all "10 speed" dropouts. Even the one without a hanger. Also, except for the vertical and near-vert drops, they are all suitable for a single speed conversion.

As for the 5 speed to single conversion... I would recommend against it. You would have to spend at least $150 because you're basically gonna have to replace some drive train components and probably a new rear wheel. Anyway, there are too many single speed cruisers already out there at yard sales just waiting to go home with you for $10.

SpeedyG said:
...Actually, if you look at your Sheldon "Have you seen my helmet?" Brown's reference... Please note that, except for the Raleigh 3 speed and the Track End, those are all "10 speed" dropouts. Even the one without a hanger. Also, except for the vertical and near-vert drops, they are all suitable for a single speed conversion...
Yea but those are also dropouts from older or upper-end frames, too. They were made that way on purpose, so that using them as single-speeds would be possible.

Most cheaper bikes with rear derailleurs now aren't like that--they have semi-verticals. Sheldon mentions this part about "most cheaper bikes made since 1980..."
~

I thought we were talking about old bikes... if you just want the look then you could drop $200 on a brand new Giant Simple Single, or perhaps another brand, or go the garage sale route.

Back