is it legal? (connecticut)

E

erikvilla

Im 16 years old i live in connecticut i do not have a drivers lisense yet is it legal for me to drive these on the street ive been riding all around i havent ran into a cop yet so im wondering if its legal before i go on any longer trips...
thanks

Searched around a bit and found this little beauty:

General Statutes of Connecticut, Title 14, Section 286

"(b) No person shall ride a bicycle with a helper motor unless that person holds a valid motor vehicle operator's license. No person shall operate a bicycle with a helper motor at a rate of speed exceeding thirty miles per hour; nor shall any bicycle with a helper motor be operated on any sidewalk, limited access highway or turnpike."

So, you need a liscense, keep it under 30, and no highways. Sounds pretty nice to me.

I personally think it's fine to ride on longer trips, I doubt any cops would really care unless there's a lot of bikes in your area. Mopeds don't attract a lot of attention unless there's a lot of them (like in Tucson ... but on the side of town I live on I've never had any trouble).

thanks for the information.. ive been ridding around my neighborhood. i road by one cop but he only looked at me and didnt say anything.. i should be getting my lisence in about 4 months or so, so ill be riding all around town when i get it. I think im the only one in my town with a motorized bicycle ha.

erikvilla - more power to you, man. I say just keep riding around nonchalantly and obeying all the rules of the road. And, in the case that you DO get stopped, play it cool and let the cop know you're getting your license soon. As many of you already know, it's all about first impressions when dealing with most officers; they will most often go easy on you if you're respectful and level-headed. This is especially true if all you've done is a moving violation or an infraction.

Enjoy! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Connecticut state, madison, laws

i live in madison connecticut and i would like to know the state laws on motoredbikes because my town cops are strict about everything because they have nothing else to do and theyll try their hardest to put anyone in jail. so ive heard that 48,49, and 50cc motorbikes were only legal but i have an 80cc. so could someone please leave a response on this because i dont feel like having my bike taken away or me getting thrown in jail. thank you.

jon

are you certain about your engine size? ;) ;) see this: http://www.motoredbikes.com/viewtopic.php?t=445

act educated, because the cops aren't when it comes to (this is important, proper legal terminology) "motor assisted bicycle" laws. as in "officer, i've researched all the CT laws i could find on "bicycles with helper motors" and i feel i'm within the law here."

plead "not guilty", unless you are (don't be blasting stop signs and expect to be treated nicely), & appeal all the way up the ladder until a judge laughs and tosses the case.

call on the MBc community to get involved.

did i miss anything, guys?

ill ask.

Thanks for the help guys, but i think ill just go to the police department on the town hall and get permission to ride it on roads.

thanks, jon

Re: ill ask.

Herrmanator8 said:
i think ill just go to the police department on the town hall and get permission to ride it on roads.

that sure does sound like an interesting encounter...keep us posted.

Make it a Habit to.....

Make it a habit to be rotating your pedals often. And..If you see of feel something may not be in your favor. Hit the kill switch and keep pedaling. Then..What can they do? It is a bicycle then....Enjoy the ride...

Back