Is it me, or are HT engines getting harder to find...

My mercury on my boat cost about $9000. Much more than a china motor. Most companies still produce 2-stroke street bikes, i rode a couple when i was in europe. Aprilia sells a 50cc 2 stroker in the USA. Every street bike in thailand is 2stroke. Im sure it is the same in many other countries.

afaik, grubee is the only 2smoke kit that has actually passed EPA,
(I think they had to post like a $50K bond or something outrageous like that)
and they are not being imported to USA or Canada anymore

Well if it comes down to it, my uncle imports stuff from china. I might have to take a trip, eat some rice, pick up a wife, and bring myself back some chinese engines.

Hi Andrew88rmz,

Seems the EPA is taking a new look into cat converters on 2-stroke motors. Appears the gas/oil mixture is plugging up the material and causing some of them to overheat.

Wonder how that will work out?

I rememeber when the 2-stroke motorcycles were banned for highway use,and I and many others didn't like the idea. We somehow got over it.

Just for the record, the 4-stroke motor is a better choice for a motorbike because it has far more bottom end torque and doesn't require the motor to revved so high to produce the needed power. 2-Stroke motors gain torque and HP as they rev up, whereas the 4-strokes have a lot more pulling power just off idle.

Also important to remember is a "legal" 2-stroke won't like the restriction of the Cat converter and I am sure the power output will suffer greatly.

Have fun,

keep thinking what u want guys motors will and are still available but expensive and grubee is the only manu that has the 2010epa certificate and are epa complient

i agree with yall 4 strokes are the future. Ive raced motocross my whole life and i have 2 4stroke race bikes myself. Im going to miss 2strokes when they finally become extinct. Also the HT motors just look cooler to me than the big hondas and briggs, but what can you do.

Hijacked by EZ motorbike - great.........

why would you think/say EZM would jack their price ???
saying things like that off the top of your head is not very cool
(this, from the guy who blew up engines because of using the wrong oil???)
and as for an EPA compliant 2smoke...I will believe it when I see it

He also mentioned Staton and piratebikes, why don't you rush to their defense too? Oh yeah, you are a EZ Motorbike dealer......

As far as why he would think companies would jack their price? Easy, our edumucation system teaches our kids that business and profits are bad, and "the man" is out to get you.

AZ BIll , in regards to 2-strokes being epa compliant have you ever seen an outboard motor? Mercury and Yamaha still make 2-strokes outboards that are fast, light, and fuel efficient. The epa is retarded, There is no way that the minimal amount of 2 stroke vehicles on this planet could ever compare to power plants, or the current situation of the giant ***** oil spill off the louisiana coast. My Flying hoarse was supposedly epa approved so believe it, go to mercury's website and see it.

2 stroke outboards are all have computer controlled fuel management to meet EPA standards, making them a lot more expensive than they were not too long ago.

Hi need a honest dealer,

No matter what happens to the Chinese 2-stroke motors, EZ Motorbike has no intentions of raising our prices. In fact we hope to lower them whenever possible. On a daily basis we do our best to find vendors that will offer us better prices [in fact Mike is on his way to meet with several fabrication shops as I write this post].

Sadly several of our current suppliers have in fact raised our cost [Aluminum pulleys, chain, chain sprockets, and belts]and we simply lowered our prophit structure. It appears the demand for 4-stroke kits is on the rise, as the first quarter of this year indicates almost a 300% increase over the same quarter last year. The more we sell, the better we can bargain with our vendors. Another important cost factor concerns shipping, and as we continue to increase our volume we save on shipping with larger orders.

Although I didn't purchase any of the low quality 2-stroke kits, I know from 15 years of racing, the 4-stroke motors always cost far less to operate & maintain. When I raced for Yamaha, Kawaski, Hodaka, AJS, & Carabela it was necessary to rebuild each motor before each race, whereas the 4-stoke motors [Ducati, HD,Triumph, etc] managed to complete the entire season without rebuilding.

My current 4-stroke motor, starts every time, gets almost 185 MPG, can exceed 35 MPH, has over 4000 miles logged, sounds great, has far more low end torque, and most importantly........ I haven't spent a single dime on repairs. I don't have to add oil [cost money] to my gas, replace any cylinders, pistons, rings, seals, gaskets, or continue to buy additional motors for spare parts.

Please don't take this as bashing 2-strokes, but facts are facts, and the most common comment I hear almost daily from customers is............ 4-stroke are in fact less costly because many have had to purchase many 2-stroke motors just to keep their motorbike running.

Have fun,

300% increase? Wow! Unfortunately, that's meaningless as you could have sold 1 unit last quarter and 3 units this quarter and that would have been a 300% increase. whoopdeedoooo

As far as those little EZM Huasheng HS-142 chineeese 4 strokes go, I agree, they are a good value for the money. Bill has how many miles on his Chineeese engine? (over the course of two gearboxes!)

"prophit" lol

Hi Andrew88rmz,

And the price of the EPA approved 2-stroke outboard motors are???????????????

Sure not the same as the Chinese 2-stroke bike motors.

And why aren't the World's largest motorcycle companies selling 2-strokes for the street anymore?

Have fun,

They aren't selling them because they were regulated out of existence. Don't cheer too loudly though Quenton, because the Chinese 4 strokes you sell with your kits will probably soon require EFI and catalytic converters to meet future EPA regulations. (you know, the same agency that is killing 2 strokes)

Hi Andrew88rmz,

Seems the EPA is taking a new look into cat converters on 2-stroke motors. Appears the gas/oil mixture is plugging up the material and causing some of them to overheat.

Wonder how that will work out?

I rememeber when the 2-stroke motorcycles were banned for highway use,and I and many others didn't like the idea. We somehow got over it.

Just for the record, the 4-stroke motor is a better choice for a motorbike because it has far more bottom end torque and doesn't require the motor to revved so high to produce the needed power. 2-Stroke motors gain torque and HP as they rev up, whereas the 4-strokes have a lot more pulling power just off idle.

Also important to remember is a "legal" 2-stroke won't like the restriction of the Cat converter and I am sure the power output will suffer greatly.

Have fun,

Engines in general do not like catalytic converters. Many motorcycle riders remove the catalysts from their bikes to gain performance. (and they are all 4 strokes, remember?)

2 stroke engines are superior in certain applications. They are simple, lightweight, and offer a lot of power per pound. A bicycle engine is a perfect application for a simple, lightweight and powerful engine.

keep thinking what u want guys motors will and are still available but expensive and grubee is the only manu that has the 2010epa certificate and are epa complient

From what I've read, NO "Happy Time" 2 stroke manufacturer has even tried to get a 2010 certificate because the engines were re-classified as "off road" vehicle engines rather than "non-road" utility engines - which have less stringent regulation.

Technically, a 4 stroke "non-road" utility engine strapped to a bicycle should require it to pass the stringent "on-road" emission standards. So remember that the feds can really clamp down on things and ruin the party for everyone.

For what it's worth, most of the personal water craft manufacturers (AKA Jetskis) are phasing out 2 strokes. A lot of lakes in the U.S. won't allow 2 strokes of any kind in their waters anymore ! This has been going on for several years now. I too think 2 strokes are on their way out.

Back