is it more difficult to put engine on 21 gear bike than 0 gear bike?

I'm using an old cottered crankset with the big gear removed so it's a 42T front. With my 48 cc engine I find 14T and 16T sprockets on the back are fine for hill assisting the engine. 42T front X 28T back is a great gear for engine off hill climbing and starting from stops before engaging the clutch, but it's far too low to help the engine at speed.

You guys are nuts! 42-20 for me lol. In all seriousness broke my ankle a few years back and both the hospital and orthopedic surgeon missed 2 breaks until it was healed. They would have to cut part of the bone and stick a rod in to fix it. Nah, I'm good. Pedaling is horrible though.

cassettes you can put individual sprockets, right? been a while since i replaced my cassette. i remember i got a cheap shimano wide ratio set, 11-34 and run out of leg at 23mph lol. probly get a bigger crank gear bcs it's a 42T now and I never need 1 or 2

Yeah. They sell spacers for the single speed guys. Seen a couple of 2 speed and 3 speed setups on some random bike forum lol.

Back