Is it necessary to isolate my headlamp?

INTP_ty

Local time
3:31 PM
I went down to my local bike shop today & picked up one of those retro chrome headlamps. The 6V ones where they're grounded through the mounting bracket & then there's a little threaded tap sticking out for the positive voltage.

Idk a thing about electrical with regards to the 2 cycle tho. Do I have to isolate this thing? I don't understand why'd it be a big deal to have to different grounded supplies hooked up to the same load .. I mean as long as I keep the positive rail off the headlamp from grounding, I should be good, no?

Anywho, I purchased one of those 1/2 W LED's off the bay with a heat sink & a driver. Plan on running it with a 9V battery.

Shalom

as long as you keep every thing polarized such that the negative is the ground connection, you'll have no problem

Last edited:
Engines are naturally grounded as they are bolted to the frame, crassius is right, don't switch wires around and the common ground can accept all kinds of varying voltages without anything feeding back, electricity doesn't just float around, it takes the shortest path, don't short parts and they won't be subject to anything unforeseen.

The engine being grounded almost means nothing anyway, the path of the electricity it gens is looped though a foot (for all intensive purposes) of wiring right back onto the top of the motor.

Small chance that hooking to the front fender mount can be high in resistance to the generator if it's on the rear wheel, keeping it all on the fork basically eliminates the problem and completely excludes it from having any real possible interactions with engine components. If it has any digital circuitry the engine emp can cause the light to function incorrectly.

Back