Carby Is my carb angle okay or too steep ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bike4life

Local time
5:39 PM
Yo. Wonder if my carb angle is too steep b/c i heard it must be level. It was leaking fuel from the float/base thing a few days ago, idk why ?? Also, i have barely enough clearance between the frame and carb, so i have to jam it in the exhaust intake manifold, therefore the airfilter deforms a tiny bit against the frame due to clearance issues. Is that okay ? I am wondering if these are issues b/c i couldn't get my bike to start even though my i have spark and the plug is somewhat dry.

Attachments

• IMG_0345.JPG
    IMG_0345.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 419
Yo. Wonder if my carb angle is too steep b/c i heard it must be level. It was leaking fuel from the float/base thing a few days ago, idk why ?? Also, i have barely enough clearance between the frame and carb, so i have to jam it in the exhaust intake manifold, therefore the airfilter deforms a tiny bit against the frame due to clearance issues. Is that okay ? I am wondering if these are issues b/c i couldn't get my bike to start even though my i have spark and the plug is somewhat dry.
It should be as level as you can get it because the needle valve will not open all the way

It's an issue if it causes a problem, it's fine if it works fine. The filter housing being squashed a bit isn't a problem but the stock filter is poor anyway. It's okay to slice a bit off with a sharp knife if that helps. I would (did) try putting the carb on the left hand side of the bike. If you need to make it more level then you can cut the intake manifold and join the pieces with some reinforced silicone tube and good clamps, preferably the "T bar" hose clamps rather than worm screw hose clamps but that's more money (sorry).

thanks furry. I tried to start the bike today and it didn't start. I am totally lost. I tested the voltages of the cdi and magneto and they are okay. I also saw spark.
Now gas sometimes leaks from the muffler ? Originally gas was leaking from the top of the compression head, but i believe that was b/c my sparkplug was too loose. But i am confused why gas would leak from the muffler when i would pedal the bike to start it.

thanks furry. I tried to start the bike today and it didn't start. I am totally lost. I tested the voltages of the cdi and magneto and they are okay. I also saw spark.
Now gas sometimes leaks from the muffler ? Originally gas was leaking from the top of the compression head, but i believe that was b/c my sparkplug was too loose. But i am confused why gas would leak from the muffler when i would pedal the bike to start it.
Ah, that sounds like (something I have read about but not experienced) the crankcase is flooded, either from repeated start attempts, or from the carb float not closing off the fuel inlet. Probably the latter since you mentioned there was fuel running from the carb.
Switch off the fuel petcock and remove the spark plug, then pedal the bike until fuel stops coming out of the spark plug hole.

have you tried turning intake over so carb is on left side? otherwise maybe raise front mount of motor and lower rear mount

have you tried turning intake over so carb is on left side? otherwise maybe raise front mount of motor and lower rear mount
I will try to have it on the left side but it doesn't clear the clutch lever. So can i just take some pvc and a heatgun and then extend it out a few inches so i can get clearance. Whats the max amount of inches to extend a carb from its origin in the engine, 10 inches ? And if you did, would you tune the needle richer or leaner.

I will try to have it on the left side but it doesn't clear the clutch lever. So can i just take some pvc and a heatgun and then extend it out a few inches so i can get clearance. Whats the max amount of inches to extend a carb from its origin in the engine, 10 inches ? And if you did, would you tune the needle richer or leaner.
Yes, should work if you get it sealed up. I think pvc won't last forever in contact with gasoline but will buy you time,then either keep renewing the pvc or use silicone hose.
I have my intake extended to 7.5 inches (measured all the way from the slide to the piston), and it supposedly boosts low rpm power but I never tried it any shorter.
I think a very few members have had longer intakes than mine but I can't comment on the effects of that.

No changes to jetting or needle clip position. Tune the carb as required after break-in.

Did you take the magnet off? The key should point to 1 o'clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back